South Korea, Safe For Solo Traveller?

2»

Comments

• edited 9:06PM
    South Korea is the one of the safest place to visit. I love Korean food. You should try many kinds of food there. I am also going to plan to spend my next vacation in South Korea with all my friends.
    Vittoria, read this and find out about South Korea visa requirements Knowledge is power...

Watch out for kimchi though - let's just say it clear out any blockages you might have.
    I want to know weather July is rain seasons then how about min and max weather warm hot or ?????
    Hey :D
    I'm 17 and want to visit seoul by myself for a few months between high school and uni, just wondering what renting there is like?
    How expensive is it?
    I want to get a vibe of the culture there too, where are the best places to go?
    My daughter is planning to go to Gimpo - can anyone tell me anything she might need to know? Is it safe?
    I am amazed at how many of the questions on here is best answered by a simple visit to your government's travel website or Korea's hospitality website- Visa info, crime stats, ethnicity concerns, % of english speaking public etc etc etc!

Also, look at www.tripadvisor.com for traveler's reviews and cost/location of hotels, hostels etc.

For airlines use a simple travel search like www.travelocity.com or www.expedia.com. Then you can judge which airlines fliy there, the relative costs and then go to the airlines site to book or further inquiry.

As for where to go for popular places look at Korea's hospitality page. Google it people!

Also for off the beaten path exploring use...again a google search and you'll find plenty of blogs.

Not trying to be a jerk but 90%+ of these posts are due to laziness. All the aforementioned information is readily available.

Please use these forum's for specific items that cannot be found and make this a forum of value- e.g. to express your personal experiences and areas to avoid or a hidden gem to visit. Or to create a list of do not go/stay here for "x" reasons but do stay/visit here for "y" reasons.

I disagee with Seoul (or any place with a partying crowd) being safe at night for s single person- male or female- due to the petty crime rate, and the increasing use of drugging people's drinks- both men and women-to easily be able to take advantage of them and/or rob them. Korea, in general, has a very high petty crime rate.

Don't dress in brand name western clothes, wear fancy jewelry. watch, shoes or flash a lot of cash. Doing so will make you an easy mark!

It is key you have the English speaking "911" and tourist information into your phone before going and also learn some of the laws. There are ,many con-artists that work together faking injury to get paid on the spot and if not, be prepared to be banned from the leaving the country until the case is settled- which means more money in hotels, food etc plus a payout to the "victims."

Lastly, as when traveling to any country that doesn't speak your language, learn enough of that countries language to get by. Most term this "survival speaking." Like greating, how to order food, ask directions, thank you, how much etc. If you try to speak their language you will find them MUCH more respective of you and they will also be more willing to help you and try to speak the international language of English.

So, all you would be travelers to Korea do your research first before posting redundant and easily found information requests on sites like this. Lastly, be safe and maintain awareness of yourself at all times. Anyplace in the world can be dangerous...even the perfect world of Disney World! And if you go to a bar/club for drinks beware of someone being too friendly wanting to buy you a drink! Be polite and say no thank you unless you know them well enough, are not alone and they drink from the same shared bottle as you! Otherwise buy your own at the bar and watch them make it to ensure no one slips anything in it. This is becoming WAY too common in Korea. I only drink beer there and ask them to bring it to me unopened. And I never leave it alone. Sadly I know too many people that had that happen and have been raped, or woken up with all their valuables striped in some alley. Not to say this would happen to you or that is only happens in Korea- this is a problem the world over- but somebody has to become a statistic and I bet that someone would rather not be you!

With all this said. Korea can be as great as you make it, just like Germany, Japan, London, New York City etc. Common sense, lot's of research and keep and open eye for anything suspicious or just doesn't look or feel right. You natural instincts will serve you well. Follow that basic advice and you can enjoy Korea- or any other foreign country just as much, if not more, than home!

Oh, one more lastly, don't even think of going to the DMZ separating North and South Korea. Sure it may seem like a great photo opportunity but it is no joke- especially if you cross, by accident or not, into North Korea. Consider your life as you know it over for a L O N G time. You will be accused of a spy and you will be jailed! A lot more people than you think have tried and as you can read some pay the ultimate price for this seemingly funny adrenaline rush to post of Facebook or whatev.

Peace out- Worldly Steve

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler