Can you enter Canada from the US if you have a DUI?

• edited 7:04AM
    I have a friend go from Maine to N.B. about twice a month. He has not have a DUI in 12 years. Is there a form he can fill out to show he has been reh.
    Each time entering Canada he still be charged 200 is been charged $200.00.
    Is there a form at the boarder to speed up the process.
    Hi there
    I need some urgent assistance!!
    I have a friend, she got a DUI in the US 4.5 years ago, and is planing to come visit me in Vancouver in 2 weeks!! The fact the DUI was a while back it's not something she always thinks about and definitely didn't think about it before buying her plane ticket....

So....What are the chances of Canadian Border patrol finding this out??? If she brings only her passport, and not her license?? Will they still be able to find the DUI? If I remember correctly, there is nothing questionnaire about past convictions on the Customs card (only declarations), so it'd only be up to the officer questioning her?

I appreciate all your advice on all this!!
    Had a DUI 10 years ago. I have crossed the border in Windsor at least 50 times since then. No problem until this year when I was sent to customs and asked if I had ever been arrested.

Short answer was I told them yes. I was told at that time, since it had been 10 years, they could deem me rehabilitated. I was allowed entry. (This was business trip)

Since then I have traveled to Canada on vacation with no problem, but when I go into the country on business, I typicaly get sent to immigration, but am always allowed entry.

I have since gotten copies of my arresest record showing that I have paid all the fines, attended DUI class, etc...just in case
    wow . for one thing I can honestly say yes the people in the united states can be idiots and rude .. if you dont like Canada so much why bother coming here? I would prefer not to have you come into my country so obviously greed has nothing to do with that

seriously if you dislike Canada so much stay away no one needs you here

on the other hand . I do have many friends in the united states who are not so mentally challenged as those who have posted in here putting Canada down .. I have no qualms about the US, i think we have a lot to offer one another and since we share the same continent it makes more sense to get along than not.

Now . true when you are an ass you are an ass, your country does not depict you as being an ass you yourself are the ass .. so to put down any one country for a few inept mentally challenged people who probably deserved to be handcuffed and interrogated if your attitude was anything upon that occasion as it is by our words in here . well guess you just sorta asked for it.

I recently had a friend from the US imply he was unable to obtain a US passport in order to travel to Canada or anywhere for that matter because of a DUI from 20 years ago. BUT that is US passport officials who have refused the passport

I am sure the same could be true in Canada. I have a valid passport. I have a friend who has no criminal past here in Canada, but he is gay and he is legally married and he was once stoped at the US border by the US officials detained questioned and his possessions and they looked at his wedding pictures, (he was visiting friends and relatives to show them the pictures) and since then because of that one incident has been denied entry into the US

To me it sounds just as bad on either side when it comes to the officials it really all comes down to who you are dealing with at the time and what kind of attitude that one official may have. Sad but true.

AS to lenience, I actually would prefer the person who bragged about his ridiculous criminal record that included 2 convictions would be denied access. PERMANENTLY. I would prefer that people who did nOt like Canada so much stay on their side and not venture here if you hate us and the country stay out it really is that simple

as for greed? wow .. ask any country out there and the USA is known to be the most arrogant and greediest of them all .. but should we put all of the rest of you down for THAT REPUTATION? Personally I think not but I prefer to weigh each individual case based on the individual, not because of their nationality or the reputation their country has made. As far as greed is concerned, there is not one single country out there who does not operate w/o greed as a main contributor to what they want out of another country. The reason we are sadly referred to as being the extra state is sadly because the US managed to convince Canada a long time ago that free trade was a good thing for the US yes, it allowed many US owned and based companies in to buy up what they could and many Canadian companies no longer exist for that reason. GREED? again . it was individual choices that the owners of the Canadian companies sold out to the US.. not the entire country.

I am a US Citizen that also has a record as a matter fact six of them over 10 years ago. Not proud of them just stating it for this purpose. Due to the economy I have recently decided I wanted to work on the boats. A company I applied for here in Duluth, Minnesota and told me I would have to try to get a Temporary Work Permit in Canada. Otherwise if they were to hire me and they went to a Canada Port which they do. The Captain of the ship would be arrested and the company would get a fine. So, I was given a number to call I believe Canada Border patrol and explained my record and my reason (work) for wanting to enter Canada to the guy who answered the phone. I want to stress this part very clearly. I was honest and very polite to the person on the phone. He was also honest and very polite to me. As he explained that I would need to get a Letter of Rehabilitation and that it could take up to a year, and proceeded to give me a phone number to the Detroit Canadian Consulate. I called there and find that you will only get your questions answered by a regular letter by mail or email which they have on the web site
    They also have application forms for the Letter of Rehabilitation and a Temporary Resident Permit along with a download of a checklist of what you need to do. I am in the process of doing all of this as we speak. It will take time as you need to get your court records which needs to be in detail if you read everything and try get the info needed. Now, I want to say one thing here. Well maybe more then one as there as seem to been a lot of hate flying around over these issues between the postings toward both countries. I want to ask everyone here that is trying to get in to Canada. Where do you really think the fault lies? You know why we can't get into Canada. Well, I guess I looked in the mirror and realize it is my own fault. This been hard on me as I thought I had the answers to getting a decent job. But, as you know there are penalities to everything. And we who want to get into Canada must obey and follow the rules and go through the hoops. If we are denied entry into Canada it is our own fault. You shouldn't say I made one little mistake if it is only one D.U.I. or whatever offence you had. When you went to get your Drivers license didn't you know the laws at that time? Yeah, you faced the consequences in the US but as I learned there are other consequences we must face. I know I am a good person and will try and suck it up and do what I need to do to enter Canada. It is another crossroad in life I put upon myself. If I can't get into Canada due to these reasons. I know it is my fault. As far as the Canadian's postings here. I would feel the same way towards some people who don't get it. Please don't take it out on all of us. I am proud to have your country Canada share the same border as us. I will be proud wether I have the right or not to enter Canada. And will obey the rules.

P.S. going to get my finger prints taken on Monday so I can send them off to the FBI.
    If you are planning a trip to the U.S., as a precaution carry a
    certified true copy of the information (court document) relating to
    the conviction and a copy of the Criminal Code section under which you were convicted.
    It would be wise also to have a letter from your doctor stating you are not addicted to alcohol or drugs. If available, bring a certified true transcript of the evidence underlying your conviction as well."
    source: Ron Jourard
    Criminal Lawyer, Toronto, Ontario
    I am concerned right now because my boyfriend was planning a trip to see me here in the U.s.. he is Canadian and he just got arrested (I don't know all the details yet) but he was arrested for possible possession of marijuana. He was visiting his brother and his brother had it at his house. He was probably using it there though. Ugh I am freaking out now that he won't be able to get across the border this coming Sunday! He already bought his bus ticket. Will it be hard for him to get into the U.S? Then both of us plan to drive back to Canada together after Christmas..Can someone tell me if this is going to be really messed up now? =(
    Well, this is just all extraordinarily confusing. I'm a guest on this site, and I appreciate all the comments and information here. I'm also a former attorney, and I've spent a couple of days doing research on the dui/minor conviction barring entry to Canada issue. For those folks with recent convictions, the information seems pretty clear -- you will be prohibited from entering if the customs agent/border patrol knows or learns of your conviction (either through background check or your honest answer).

What is much more ambiguous is how the process works for those with a conviction more than ten years old. Everything on the Canadian border/customs site is geared toward applying for rehabilitation, but the most that is said for individuals with convictions older than ten years is that they "may be deemed rehabilitated." But does that mean the border agent can deem you rehabilitated when you try to cross? Is it automatic? Do you have to apply for a Canadian official to state that you are now deemed rehabilitated? If so, why so doesn't the website instruct you to do so? As a lawyer, I have to say this is a mess of a system, but I guess we have to work within it.

I have plan to travel to Canada over the holiday, and my plan is simply to go and answer any questions I may be asked when they come up. As far as I can tell from everything I've read, I should be deemed rehabilitated -- I've had no infractions (and yes, we're talking about a DUI 15 years ago, and a couple of speeding violations more than ten years ago) in the past 10 years.

Another interesting point here is that with extremely old minor convictions, it's sometimes difficult to get state and local authorities to acknowledge them and that the sentence or fine has been discharged. That's because the minor convictions on non-repeat offenders are the first ones to be pushed off the system for document retention purposes. The point is, the last time I tried to get certifications from local police in KY when I was applying for the admission to the NY state bar as an attorney, I trouble getting the authorities to acknowledge I had been arrested! They say I haven't, I know I have, and how in the world am I supposed to document that for the Canadian border patrol. Unbelievable.

Any thoughts on the "deemed rehabilitated" point would be much appreciated. Happy holidays!
    I sure wish someone one have answered jdubs. I have the same disposition. DUI in 1994, some 17 years ago. Want to go to UFC in Toronto, last time I tried getting in was 2005 or 2006, I live in Buffalo walking distance from the bridge, I was going to bingo with my wife and mom. I guess I didn't answer the declare question truthfully out of ignorance so he gave me a hard time and made me turn the car around.

I don't have police records or AA consoling papers from way back then, I've always thought fukem since but now I sorta need to know. It cost crazy $ for tickets and hotel plus my friends that I'll be with will also be denied entrance. Isn't there a queen or someone I can talk to up there, it's ridiculous to have this concern left ambiguously judged by the customs agent. Since I'd be crossing the border with a much more hostile looking group then wifey and ma-dukes, I don't know if it's worth the risk? And that my friend is why Canada has flapping heads in southpark, eh?
    I have all the info you need. I am a pilot with a recent DUI and I know exactly what you need to do to get into Canada with no questions asked and you'll be legal as can be with no worries. This is a test post. Checking to see if this will post.
    You need to complete a criminal rehabilitation application if it has been over 5 years since your DUI conviction. If it has been less than 5 years since your conviction you need to apply for a temporary residents permit (TRP). You can easily find these applications via a quick search for them on google. As far as the complete jerk who called Americans trash for having a criminal record. KISS MY A$$. I have a DUI and Canada considers this misdemeanor a felony in Canada. It is really a shame that Canada has done this. Imagine if the USA excluded people from entry with a misdemeanor!! WE would never do that, but I think Canada needs a dose of its' own medicine.
    I have 10 felonies, and 6 misdemeanors.
    Been to Canada several times.

But about 2 years ago I got a Drunk Driving.
    Misdemeanor in the States.
    But Canada seems to frown on that.

I haven't been back to Canada since I got my Drunk Driving.
    WOW....I was looking at this site for a friend and can't believe the anger goping back and forth form both Americans and Canadians. I am an American living in Canada and have had many friends have problems coming into Canada from DUI's that happened in their 20' friend posted bail twice, and then when he went to renew for the third time was denied by the border guard, went to his superior - denied and told not to try again until 2014. The US will NOT deny entry to a Canadian with a DUI, but a pot charge is another matter - so I've heard. I cross the border at least 4 times a week (each way) If you remember that Border Agents are the ULTIMATE police, have respect and be truthful you won't have problems. YES, I do get called into secondary occasionally. It is a nuisance, but that is their perogative. Both countries have good points and bad points.....Canada feels safer, gang-types are less prevalent, US is better for shopping for everything. ....and has warmer destinations! It is unfortunate that transitting countries can't be easier, like it is in Europe, but since 9/11 happened I don't think our government will ever loosen control :(
    Proudly Canadian makes very good points but I'd like to make a statement concerning Greed and the US contribuitons to the world. The US and our people are accused of being greedy and consuming most of the worlds resources on an annual basis with our disposable and wasteful style of living (but watch out here comes China). We ARE spoiled and mostly ignorant as a society with regards to how the rest of the world lives or even functions. However, the contributions that have been given to mankind by the United States is unmatched in all of history. The charitable contributions to every nation on earth by the United States is also unmatched -in fact it exceeds the charitable contributions of all other nations combined. These facts seem lost on those who accuse us of being selfish, greedy and disproportionately consuming the worlds natural resources.

As for our relationship with Canada? Oh My! Canada, you are a great neighbor and I for one, love you Canadians as neighbors. How I would hate to be an Iraqi, Iranian, Bosnian, Egyptian, Libian or Israeli. Now THEY have bad neighbors (and some are bad themselves). John seems to have seen the light - personal responsibility. It is really what is lacking in the US. Don't blame Canadian laws or customs for your inability to enter their country when it is as a result of your own actions.
    @Michigander - with you on that!
    Im Thinking about trying to cross at the little town of Molson Wa. theres a resort/spa i want to go to right across the border in Osoyoos. Does anyone no if its easyier at the smaller crossings? i think Molson is a ghost town. Thank You
    The amount of ignorance just astonishes me!!!!!!!!

First of all I would like to point out to “God Bless America” REALLY?!? Are you that oblivious, that arrogant, that ignorant that you honestly believe Canada depends on money from the US people to get by, that we thrive on US Tourists, WOW, okay AMERICA is in such an economic crisis right now it doesn’t even know what to do. I live in a small border town just north of a town in Montana and more Canadians own properties on the lakes and in the towns in Montana than Americans. I frequent the US a lot and have spoken to a lot of Americans who have promptly stated if it wasn’t for Canadian business they wouldn’t have any business at all.

I have nothing against Americans, in fact I am a dual citizen but it always blows me away with the amount of ignorance from uneducated people who truly know nothing about Canada or even their own economy for that matter.

Next, I have a few friends that work for Canada Customs as well as US Customs, you would be amazed of how many Americans are turned around daily for attempting to work in Canada. ALSO how many Americans are turned around daily for criminality? If you would like to educate yourself you could also stop and talk to US and Canada Customs instead of going on sheer ignorance, for example, Canada does have very tough immigration policies BUT so does the US. The US refuses entry for different types of criminality and offences than Canada and vise versa.
    **** those of you who want to know about DUI’s, if that is your only charge and it was more than 10 years ago from the time that you ended any and all punishments for that offence you are deemed rehabilitated.

For those of you on here bragging about entering Canada with extensive criminal records well it might be of interest to actually get that figured out because Canada will be laughing when you put out a lot of money to visit somewhere in Canada and at that point you get caught and refused no ifs, ands, buts about it. You may have gotten away with it thus far but one day it will catch up to you.

For the people who are not as oblivious as these people and want to know facts about coming to Canada it may be of interest to call an immigration line and get real facts, not “facts” from these idiots who are oblivious to life itself.

I do not judge the US or Canada for the select group of ignorant people; however, I find it extremely funny to read these posts written by these idiotic people who hide behind screen names. For those of you who “hate” Canada and think Canada lets criminals in because you “bring so much to Canada” why do you even visit Canada, isn’t that kind of ironic? For those of you who have a bunch of felonies etc why don’t you post your full name and date of birth so when a Customs agent does read this they can deal with you accordingly the next time you visit the country that you apparently hate.

I am actually quite sickened by the lack of knowledge on this post but at the same time find it absolutely hilarious!! Get your facts, go to the government websites call government hotlines, please don’t take information from these ignorant people on this post.

Please know that I am not referring to all of you who have posted on here…

Just had to vent!!!!
    Oh and by the way USPILOT, giving Canada a dose of their own medicine?!? Well an American may be refused for a DUI when trying to come into Canada; however, if you were caught with a joint there wouldn’t be any questions asked BUT going into the US after being caught with a joint 20 years proir would be as if hell froze over and never allow you in. CHECK YOUR FACTS!!! Americans may think that being refused for a DUI is stupid but Canadians think being refused for a joint in even worse, when is the last time you heard of a person smoking a joint and killing someone, not very often, I personally hear of people drunk driving killing people ALL OF THE TIME.

One more question USPILOT, I sure hope you are not an actual pilot and if so please inform me of what airline you fly for because if you are applauding drunk drivers I sure as hell don’t ever want to be in an airplane you are flying, possibly drunk if it really isn’t that big of deal right?

A group of us travel a lot going to music festivals across the country and in Canada. we've been denied many times, but that never stops the people without criminal records from crossing and waiting for the rest of us to hike to them and get back in the car. we with extensive records have stopped trying to cross the border legally. when you pull up and half of you are high and the other half are trippin, you're gonna have your name ran and you're gonna get searched. hiking across is a much more quiet way of entering and bring my fun in without question. Mexicans do it coming to the US and so many people seem to fight for the rights of illegal immagrints that i've stopped caring. i'm not trying to make a life in an intolerant country, however Canada is beautiful and i disagree with anyone that says i cannot adventure and enjoy this world because my morals are not aligned with theirs. i go to my fest, i enjoy it, then i leave. the first time i was denied was in 2003 the last time i tried to cross at a border crossing was 2005, i can't count how many times I've been since then, prolly around 25-30 times.

i know all of you intolerant people will criticize this, call me whatever you want, i'm still going to cross and then wave to the border agents as i come back to the US
    Our son had moved to Alaska some time ago and has considered moving back to the lower 48. Problem is that he got a DUI while living in Alaska. Will he be unable to pack up and move back this way?
    Come on guys, I think Canada and Canadians are cool, and (most) of us here in the states are cool, every country does dirt, we all live on other natives' land, we speak the same language and do the same shit. Trailer Park boys reminded me a lot of the characters I knew growing up. I have a DUI and hope it wont stop me from driving up to Montreal this summer
    Flying to Vancouver Airport on Sunday for a 4 day visit, have a DUI that was removed from my record (by completing diversion) over a year ago. Will I have any trouble getting in? I'm surprised that my passport would be able to pull up all this information
    My roommate just flew into Canada yesterday and they stopped her at the airport in Canada and gave her hell about the DUI she got a year ago. She was also there last weekend with no problem. She had to pay a huge fine in Canada and now isn't sure if they will even let her go back in. Probably a good idea to check it out before you buy a plane ticket or cross the border.
    All of the information on this website refers to CONVICTIONS, but what happens if you got arrrested, and the charges were DISMISSED. I live in Oregon and there is a doctor in Surrey, BC I need to see to clear up some cranial issues I am having. If they run a background check, or google my arrest, will I be denied entry. My charge is a class B misdemeneor possession of Marijauna. The charge says under 2oz, but I only had a few grams.
    I'm planning on flying into Vancouver on May 17th to board a cruise ship up and down the Canadian coast and I had a DUI in 2009 and a wet & reckless in 2006. Will I be allowed into Canada? I've completed my DUI classes and have my license back and i'm a bit worried in regards to being embarrassed in front of my friends and family that are going with me on the trip. Is there anything I should bring or do prior to leaving in the next 2 1/2 weeks?
    I am planning a trip overseas and have a re-fuel stop in Canada. We will not deplane and as far as i know not go through customs.

I also had a DUI 5+ years ago; has anyone ever been turned away from a refuel flight because of a dui?
    I had a DUI in 2005 but was able to go into Canada twice in 2007 without any problems.

Has something changed since then that may not allow me to enter the country now? Or did I just get lucky that no one asked if I had been arrested?
    Or, Perhaps instead of both countries bitching about DUI's, both countries could create automated transport systems which are guided by satellite, thus removing the whole "Drunk Driver" problem out of the scenario... saving countless lives in the process. But where's the money in that? How will that support the Prison Industrial Complex? How will that help the police employment? ;)

As a human being on this earth, the earth, is my home.
    Drawing invisible lines in the ground and performing a massive circle jerk exclaiming that one side is better than the other side is most childish (talking about both sides).

Here is an example of a world not run on century-old thinking, but rather the intelligent management of the earth's resources while applying the scientific method for social concern:

I've read all the postings so far... very interesting stories.. I'm not entirely sure why anyone would want to live in Canada, other than some of the nice mountain views, but other than that.. there is nothing else in my opinion.. so hearing about how the border patrol is keeping people out of canada due to decade old convictions or records, is in the very least, ignorant. They should provide scientific data showing the correlation of violence from decade old offenders entering the country, then maybe they would have a reason to deny them, other than their "personal opinion" also known as "bias".
    I don’t think you would have any problem entering Canada as you have nothing much just a DUI. I have also been caught two times in DUI while driving a rental car but have never mentioned it to any company not even my rental company. That’s why I hire from the same company ( ) because I am bit afraid that some other rental company might put that on my record that can further hamper me in hiring a car.
    If you have your record expunged or dismissed in the US dose Canada acknowldge it as
    a conviction
    I have a DUI from 9 years ago. I work for a very large construction firm and have been instructed to go to Canada to set up the systems for a large project. I knew nothing about how serious Canada saw DUI's until yesterday so now I'm worried.
    I have travelled and worked all over Europe during the last 9 years since my conviction, Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong & have visited the US twice without any trouble what so ever. Are Canadian customs really THAT strict?
    I know the fim has some good lawyers on my case but what I want to know is, what are my chances of getting a TRP with good references from my firm if I turn up with some old court documents?
    Luv Both Countries My GF Is In NJ And I Live In Manitoba "Canada" For All You Americans. 31 Years ago 2 Weeks After My 18th Birthday I Got Charged As A Accessary To The Fact Got A Pardon Still Will Cost $1300 To Cross The Border - A Border Waiver My US Freinds So Shut Up
    I was also very concerned about traveling to Canada with a DUI that i had on my record from 2003. My purpose to visit was for a Job interview at company headquarters and I would not actually be working in Canada, just needed to interview with them for 2 days.

In preperation of Driving up to Canada, i submitted all of the paperwork to the canadian consulate in Detroit, but was not able to get the application for rehabilitation processed in time. So, not knowing if I was going to be allowed into Manitoba, I decided to risk it and drive up. I brought a copy of my application as well as all of the supporting documents from my case that I could get my hands on. This caused me stress as I looked and researched for weeks if I would be permitted entrance or not.

When driving through customs, as anticipated, I was asked to come in and talk with an immigration officer. he asked if I had any criminal background.. I was completely honest with the agent and explained my efforts in getting a TRP and crimnal rehabilitation in advance. He had asked me if I already paid for my application for rehabilitation($200 USD) which I had. his response was "thats to bad, hopefully you can get that back". From there he asked me a series of questions about my offense and if i had any offenses since then. I had just one speeding ticket since the 2003 DUI. He took my application for rehabilitation and actually processed it right there, within an hour. He explained to me that their are minor and Major Criminally inadmissible cases. A dUI is considered a Minor case and the application for rehabilitation can be process right at the port of entry.

The most important thing that I did, was I came to the border with all of the paperwork and documentation that I could, and I was completely honest with the border patrol. I can not explain the weight that was lifted off of my shoulders when he handed me a Canadian document that would allow me to enter Canada whenever I want with no more anxiety of being denied entry due to this offense. Just be honest and they understand that people screw up and can learn from there mistakes.
    This is for the person convicted of multiple offenses both misdemeanor and felony and having LUCK entering Canada.

I am not judging you but LISTEN UP to my story.

I live in a US border town on Canadian border for 12 years and dozens of times have entered Canada for dentist, enjoyment, shopping whatever without detainment.

I have a 30 year old misdemeanor offense and never once though it would show up .

They did a criminal check and it showed up. 30 Years old. And put me through the wringer. Not pleasant.

Be warned.
    Last month, tried to border a plane from Montreal to the Dominican Republic with one stop in Miami. I am a Canadian citizen. I was refused entry by the US Border agent at the YUL airport after a passport check. Because of a DUI IN 1991! Yes, that's right .... 20 years ago I got a DUI in Montreal and now, If I want to enter the United States, I was told I was going to need a waiver. VERY EXPENSIVE AND COMPLICATED TO GET THIS STUPID WAIVER! So, Americans have it a lot easier, believe me.... On top of that, I DIDN'T EVEN WANTED TO VISIT THE USA, IT WAS JUST A PITSTOP !!!!. Lost my plane ticket, my hotel reservations and money !!!!....
    Well, the Canadians in Vancouver showed us what the Canadian authorities are worried about. It really is too bad. My daughter and her girlfriend were going to visit Toronto for two days and two more in Montreal. The girlfriend's parents were coming from the US to visit Montreal with them. My daughter just learned today about Canada's rules regarding DUI. She has one from almost 2 years ago and has a breathalyzer in her car. Now none of them are going to visit Canada. I guess I will never travel to Canada again because I have a 21 year old DUI in the US! If this becomes better know, a lot of US people are going to have to avoid Canada. I'm going to make sure no flight I am on touches down anywhere near the place!
    Shrek. Hit me up bro... anyone else that has some tips on how to get into canada through the back door... also hit me up. . I wont waste my time explaining my situation here to these sheeple.
    hey guys help me out with some info plz. My husband is a USA citizen and he had some problem with the IRS and they issued a warrant for him but we took care of that n paid them but its been almost 3 months and they haven't removed his name from the system. does anyone know how long it might take to get his name off? he was out of the country while this thing was going on n 3 days ago he was trying to come back to USA through Canada and they arrested him in Vancouver, so what might happen to him now? n what is the quicks way to get him back in USA. plz help me out....