Passport Validity questions for travelling to Australia

2»

Comments

• edited November -1
    Hi

So I was born in Australia but have lived in Canada most of my life. So I am planning to return to Australia for a minimum of 9 months but my Australian passport is expired. So I am wondering how i need to work this. Since I don't have my australian passport but am planning to get it when i go over there can i just simply go over with a 3 months travel visa and say that i'm getting my australian passport when i am over there and show them my birth certificate and expired passport.. I am leaving in a month and thought that this was going to be how'd i'd do it but now i feel like this is not enough. Can someone please tell me what I will need so that they don't send me back to canada when i hit customs.

Sincerely Jon
  • edited September 2011
    Hi Jon,

This is definitely something you would want to contact an Australian embassy about as my guess is a birth certificate is not sufficient. However, I could be wrong. As a Canadian, you are eligible for a short-stay electronic Australian visa (ETA). More information can be found about Australian ETA visas on EasyETA. The reason I would be a bit cautious is that you intend to stay for 9 months versus the normal electronic visa, which is valid for 3 months. You may also want to read up on what is required to obtain an Australian passport once in the country, so you can simply acquire a new passport for future travels to Australia. Hope this helps!
  • edited November -1
    Here is the link. You need 6 months validity for your passport.

https://www.passports.gov.au/web/passportvalidity.aspx
  • edited November -1
    Hi, I'm going to brisbane for my master degree ( feb 2012-dec2012) but the problem is my passport (I'm a malaysian) will be expired on May 2013. Should I renew my passport or what? Really need guide on this. Thank you
  • edited November -1
    hi can anyone help me out by telling me that i have an indian passport with an australian tourist visa for a single entry valid for three months and i have a holiday trip to make on that visa and i also plan to go to bangkok after australia and want to go for visa on arrival in bangkok but my possport is getting expired in another month and i am getting a new passport befor i start from india to australia however i am afraid that when i get a new passport my old passport will not be valid and my australia visa is on the old passport so will me australia visa will still be valid for my new passport............please help me out on this
  • edited November -1
    Hi, I have a spouse visa anp permanent residency in australia but for the last year my husband and i have been living outside australia. we are travelling back to Aus to visit family for a month. do i need any other visas to enter ? i have my spouse visa label in my passport.
    will be grateful for your help!
    thanks
  • edited November -1
    Hi there,

Really need anyone's opinion on my current situation here.

I'm a Malaysian and came to Brisbane, Australia 3 weeks ago on 15th Feb 2012. I will be leaving Brisbane on tomorrow's morning flight (9th of March 2012) to Malaysia via Singapore Airlines (connecting flight at Changi airport before heading to KL, Malaysia). FYI, my passport will expire on 30th August 2012, so I have reached the 6-month validity (approx 5 months 22 days left to the expiry date) and that is why I can't do my online flight check-in.

So, the question here is, will there be a trouble at the immigration at Brisbane airport and Changi airport? Or do I need to renew my pasport at the Malaysia Embassy in Australia?

Please someone reply ASAP, so I still have time to change my flight time tomorrow if the answer is I need to renew my passport here in Australia.

Thanks very much.

Shah
  • edited November -1
    Hi there,

Really need anyone's opinion on my current situation here.

I'm a Malaysian and came to Brisbane, Australia 3 weeks ago on 15th Feb 2012. I will be leaving Brisbane on tomorrow's morning flight (9th of March 2012) to Malaysia via Singapore Airlines (connecting flight at Changi airport before heading to KL, Malaysia). FYI, my passport will expire on 30th August 2012, so I have reached the 6-month validity (approx 5 months 22 days left to the expiry date) and that is why I can't do my online flight check-in.

So, the question here is, will there be a trouble at the immigration at Brisbane airport and Changi airport? Or do I need to renew my pasport at the Malaysia Embassy in Australia?

Please someone reply ASAP, so I still have time to change my flight time tomorrow if the answer is I need to renew my passport here in Australia.

Thanks very much.

Shah
  • edited November -1
    Hello,
    I been travelling around south-east asia for 5 months.
    I have an Australian passport.
    My passport has 5 and a half months left before it reaches its expiry date.
    I want to fly home in 2-3 weeks from vietnam.
    Actually, I would like to spend a day or two in KL after vietnam and then fly home.
    If I fly from Saigon to KL and I make it on to the plane but KL immigration realize the expiry date once ive landed in KL, will they send me on the next flight back to Australia at my expense? or will they send me back to Saigon and make me renew my passport there?
    What if I have a flight to KL and then a flight to Australia a few days after landing in KL already booked. If I show them my continuing flight already booked are they likely to just let me stay a few days and then continue to Australia?
    If I make it through immigration in KL and noone realizes and then spend a day or two and then fly to australia will this be a problem considering i'm flying into my own country?

Thanks in advance for any help! :)
  • edited November -1
    HI,
    I will be traveling to Australia at the end of Augest / September, i have made a bit of a school boy error here but ive already been granted my visa, but my passport runs out in march 2013. I plan to stay the whole length of my visa but, am i best of renewing my passport here in scotland or out in australia? plus i have not booked my flights yet. Any advice is much appriciated!
    Muchios Gracias!
  • edited November -1
    hai,
    Iam lekshmy.the expiry of my visa is only 15 days and iam here in tourist visa.now i would like to renew my passport,the expiry is 20/3/2013.If i want to renew my passport what will i do.For renwel, how many days visa validity should i have?
  • edited November -1
    I am travelling from ireland and wondering if my passport needs to be 6 months in date for travelling to perth.
  • edited November -1
    I am planning on going to Australia in April 2012 from the USA. My passport expires in September 2013. Do I have to get a new passport and do I need a visitor visa? If so how do I obtain the visa?
  • edited November -1
    Cheryl,

You do need a visa, and can get one through the nearest Australian Embassy or Consulate. More info is available on the Australia embassy website.
  • Hi,

Im Malaysian and currently working holiday at New Zealand. My working holiday will finished on 24/7/2014, but my passport expired date on 2 September 2014.In my case, it let said I'm plan 25/7/2014 from New Zealand flight back to Malaysia, since New Zealand directly flight back to Malaysia very expensive, so i plan from New Zealand flight to Australia, after that from Australia flight back to Malaysia, this method will more economic for me. But my passport validity less than 6 month as i mention.In Conclusion,possible from New Zealand entry to Australia and depart from Australia flight back to Malaysia? Please give me appreciated advice.Thank You
  • As you will not be entering Australia, you are only transiting through the airport you do not require six months on your passport.
  • Hello! I will be traveling to Melbourne from Mexico City on July 26, 2014. I already have a valid visa to enter Australia, but my passport is about to expire. My visa was issued electronically so I would like to know if I renew my passport before traveling (After Australia I will fly to Indonesia which has a 6 month validity requirement on passports) will my visa will still ve valid for the new passport? Thank you!
  • Hi there,
    I would advise checking with your local embassy just to be on the safe side, but I can tell you from personal and professional experience that generally countries have no problem accepting a valid visa in an expired passport, so long as you have a new valid passport as well. Still, as every country is different, it is definitely worth checking with the Australian and Indonesian embassies. Enjoy!

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler