Check out our country and city guides at www.wordtravels.com

Travel Safety in Egypt

13»

Comments

• edited 3:38AM
    Yes, and was always safe! Sharm is a long way from Cairo, perhaps that's why Mubarak went there to lie low!
    My uncle's friends who are wealthy Egyptians in their 70s now living in USA, advised my uncle NOT to travel to Egypt WITH THEM for the next 1-2 years. His friend has not returned my phone call yet. Can anyone shed light on this? We hope to travel to Cairo then to Aswan-Luxor Nile cruise in September 2011. We are a young American married couple. I keep reading that Cairo is safe again. But I haven't heard anything specifically about Americans traveling to Egypt.
    thank you for your reply davidF i will shore have fun on holiday now thanks aging
    Hello everyone!!!!
    I planing to to go Cai in 08/22 and i took a plan with KET TRAVEL...any bosy know about this company??? or do you have any other company to take a tour from Cairo to Luxor or some for 6 days???
    Thanks
    I've been reading tripadvisor this summer, and have noticed that there have been serious staff riots at Mamlouk Palace Hotel in Hurghada. Staff members have acted violently and smashed windows and interiour in the hotel. Some of the staff is told to have been acting hostile against some guests who ate their meals claiming not to understand why the hotel guests were eating as the egyptians have their Ramadan.(!!?) Scary! The riots are described as treatening and so violent that most of the guests have been very anexious and scared. Some have been evacuated to other hotels, while othters have been hiding in their rooms or at the beach while the riots have been taking place. I must admit that I have my deepest doubts and concern about spending our familyholiday at Mamlouk in late autumn, or spending our holiday i Egypt for that matter.
    Has anybody heard about riots like this in other hotels in the area? There may be another hotel that are one hundred prosent safe, or what? Such riots are sure to scare tourists from travelling to Egypt, for sure. I guess we are cancelling our Egypt holiday and book our journey to a country which is safe.
    Dear Norwegian traveller staff riots are in some places and its peacful.Its not only in tourism but its from the workers in general to get fair income,the clever managements fix the problem in littel time, while hoels working and travelers start to come and Egyptian never been agrassive with the guests, We never ask why pepole not fasting as we do! and i think if pepole want to hide there are no where to hide at the beach. you can relax on the beach may be.
    Comments on the riots. If it's in staffs interest to get their fair income I will strongly suggest that they NOT are acting treathening or violently in front of hotel guests as that will scare tourists from travelling to Egypt, and the consequens of that is in worst case that hotelstaff will loose ALL their income. Worst case scenario, I guess? I'll advice staff and employed to raise their demand on the incomeissue as a nigosiation between the management and the workers, and NOT acting violently as they have been doing.

I agree with Norwegian traveller that I also will have strong doubts about going to the Mamlouk Palace, and to Egypt as a destination when there seems to be unsafe to spend our holiday. I'll strongly advice staffmembers to act friendly and nice in their demands for better salary, as we also must act in western countries. Violency is no good 'tool', rather the opposite.
    spanish and english questions are mostly welcomed.
    also portuguese speaking people can contact me with english and spanish on my e-mail which is mosesmiromizo@hotmail.com