information needed on marriage in Tunisia

Comments

• edited 12:26AM
    hello all av just marryed my tunisian husband in april and i want him to live in uk with me what do we do plz thanks
    Sam - my first piece of advice is to look at this site: www.tunisia.com there is a thread about dox etc specifically for British women who have married Tunisian men. You will find loads of information there.

Good luck!
    Hello,
    Well first of all I have to say WOW, many foreigners marry tunisian men. I am an American woman and my boyfriend lives in Tunisia. I am planning on traveling there the first quarter of 2012 and we are making plans now to get married. We have been in contact almost daily for near a year using skype. I have met all his immediate family and many of his cousins so they know about our relationship and my plans to come there. We do have a significant age difference (15 years) and I guess my question is, is this typical in tunisia for young men to be with older women? We have been back and forth in conversation about the validity of our relationship, and I have questioned him many times as to why me and not a tunisian woman. We have cried together, fought with eachother and I truly feel that he loves me. Would someone who is trying to get to the US really go to all the trouble and do all this if he doesnt love the woman? I would appreciate any advice you have to offer.
    Tunisiabound - your last question - yes yes and yes again. The life in tunisia is difficult, there are no jobs and there are a lot of young men who look for older, more wealthy women to provide them with a visa. It is not normal for Tunisian men to be with older women here. Mostly they marry younger women as they want families (usually big ones). If you care to look for more information then go to: www.tunisianloverates.com and also on www.tunisia.com Both sites contain lots of good information for women who are in relationships with a Tune. Oh and by the way - they don't actually cre what country it is just so long as it is a passage out of Tunisia. Tell him that you want to live with him in tunisia and see his reaction.
    Hello Lesley,
    I am an Australian lady and am at this moment doing my no impediment cirt here in Aus but have got to the point in the office where they asked me do I need the cirtificate authenticated or an apostille stamp?? I have no idea so they are holding the cirtificate as it only takes 2 hours to do either or both.
    Also do I need my single status cirtificate authenticated or an aposille put on?
    regards Nicola
    Hi Nicola - Your CONI shows your single status and your ability to marry. You need it certified and probably you should have it translated into French/Arabic. Get copies and have all of them certified as you will find you need quite a few of them eventually. Are you going to live in Tunisia or are you intending on going the spouse visa route?? Good luck and mabrouk
    Hello Lesley, thanks for your reply, I have found out further from the Tunisian Embassy here in Canberra Australia, they have told me to have both certificates, no impediment and single status certificate Authenticated at the foreign affairs office then I have to post them onto Tunisian Embassy in Canberra for a Tunisian stamp.... wow then I will post to my man in Tunisia who will then have them translated, then the last month b4 wedding order my British Birth cirtificate from UK give them my mans Tunisian address as this can only be 20 days old that's the hardest part!! Eventually my man will live here in Australia with the help of his oldest brother who has been a resident of Aus for over 20 years
    Hi Sam
    If you have just married in Tunisia then it is harder to get your husband to the UK more than if you had applied for a fiance visa and got married in the UK and then applied for settlement, as i got married in Tunisia and i am having to do settlement now 2yrs later. First the UK border are not helpful in Tunisia or here, the website only gives you basic information and when you have completed your application the Embassy there will look to your husbands documents and then tell you if you need more or if its okay, (also they will not communicate with you only your husband the applicant) most of the time they refuse on the appointment. As a sponsor ( you can only be his sponsor) you will need to be in Full time Permanent Employment, and living alone supporting yourself (paying all Bills) in appropriate accommodation not lodging (evidence of contract /payslips) or Mortgage Deeds. Also when your husband applies for his police record they are really not helpful and sometimes will ask for money to speed up the paperwork but my husband was rudely interrogated and waited 28days for it, all English documents need to be translated into french. I recommend you getting a character reference from your local Councillor i did that and that seemed to help, get them to email Embassy there regarding your case or get a letter something officially to say how you need your husband with you. In regard to your husband it helps if he has a degree or skill trade qualification and that he has a EU recognised English language qualification and not private schooling one,(as they will as him to resit a test and this cost 600 dinars £300 and takes 3 months to study for) also that he is in employment in Tunisia whilst he is applying for the visa helps. Most communication needs to be documented (texts, Emails, Facebook msg's, Letters, online conversations) all needed to be added, as well as photos together, E-tickets of when you went out there, etc...... also an additional letter from yourself saying how you need him in the UK with you and how its your right as a wife etc..... anything you send to Tunisia via post make sure its recorded or fax over copies of the original like passport etc... it is a full overwhelming task and will test your marriage to the max, i found alot of people will tell you all there struggles with getting their husband/wife's out of Tunisia but dont get discouraged and your husband will get everyone telling him what he should do but as its the British Embassy its better if you read over things and explain it to him so he stays on track with what to do, trust me this whole process can be very stressful and frustrating and i wish you all the best luck with getting him to the UK :) Michelle x
    To all those who are making a sweeping statement about Tunisian men wanting a way out
    Firstly not all are like that, and those that are, think ALL western women are overly, openly sexualised, easy and dont respect themselves. So why are they gonna respect you? If you are not like that and suspect they are trying to use you, then you should play hard to get, be weary and give them honesty. At the end of the day MEN are MEN wherever they are from...... and if they really want to be with you, whatever concerns you got be open about them, then make up your mind but hold some cards to your chest, for example if you got money then dont say and dont tell them if you own your own home etc.... I am 32 i have an average working class wage and my husband is 24 finished his degree and i was not looking for anyone and i was very abrupt with him about what most people think about Tunisians, he liked the fact i wasn't easy and weary and wanted to prove himself, we are 2 yrs happily married and have a baby, and i knew he never wanted to be with me because of coming to England and we are still trying to get him here, but we will not live in England forever...... In fact its not just Tunisians who think England is suppose to be wonderful, alot of third world countries do, if you wanna blame anyone BLAME the MEDIA!!!!
    Michou - I think nobody here is making sweeping statements, however, as I am married to a Tunisian and I live in Tunisia I think I have majority credentials to send out warning signals!! We see a lot of 'bezness' here and I believe that I need to promote caution when it comes to a holiday romance here. It's not the media to be honest it is perception and it is very hard to change this....most Tunisians believe everyone in the west is rich and if you compare the lifestyles of the two cultures then I agree with them. I could debate this issue here but this is a travel forum. And I still believe it is a responsibility for those of us who live here, understand the language, culture, religion, mindset to send a 'be wary' signal.
    Hello I an a divorced american women that has been with a Tunisain man for one year. I have visited him and his family just recently. Thay all are so Beautiful. He wants to marry me and I am crazy about him. He never asked once to live in America..Only for me to live there and learn the new way. He shows pure love My question is how hard will it be for me to live in Tunisia and will I be able to stay there without losing my U.S. Citizenship? I know I can be in the country for 3-4 months and need to renewl Visa every year..meaning I would have to travel back and forth. Is there another way ? I dont want to lose my Citizenship or him. I don't have alot of money to travel back and forth and he knows that. Im poor just like him. He wants me there. Please give me advice on how I can maintain my Citizenship and will I be able to stay in country if I marry him and to marry in the arabic way will it be Recognize in America as marreid? Thank so much.
    Guest - you will not lose your US citizenship by living in Tunisia. Once you arrive, you have 3 months visa free. Within that time you go to the police station and apply for your carte de sejour which will give you 2 years residency here. After that you can apply for permanent residency and still not lose your US citizenship. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that US now recognises dual citizenship so if you wish to take up Tunisian citizenship you can still hold your US citizenship/passport/rights etc. The marriage here in Tunisia is a simple signing of a contract of marriage and yes it will be recognised in the US. As for you being able to cope with the life here that's another story. Oh and just for your information - if you can afford the flight from States to Tunisia then you are rich no ifs or buts - poor Tunisians find it difficult to livefrom week to week forget about a holiday anywhere!!! If you want some insight and advice then I'll be happy to provide that for you. Email me as below.
    helo lesley
    i hve a aus gf ...we hve been chattin on msn sending messages for about one year ..im in love with her and she invited me to come and see how is things in real
    i heard that a touristic visa for tunisian is very hard and i hve a slim chance to be accepted knowing that im degreed and umemployed right now and there is an age difference im 25 and she is 40
    do i hve chance hve a touristic visa
    will be waitin for ur reply
    thank u
    Mido - I have to be very honest with you - you have no chance of a visitor visa to Australia. Even you have a degree you are unemployed and will need to show the Australian government that you have an incentive to return to Tunisia. Unless you have an employment contract, money in the bank, assets then I'm sorry but your g/f will have to come here to meet you.
    Hello. I am from England and would like to marry my Tunisian boyfriend..I have known him all my life. I have an aunt who now lives in Tunisia with her Tunisian husband and kids ( has done all my life, hence why I am marrying a Tunisian). She got married in Tunisia and said it was easy to do so. However, I am still unsure on what I would have to do and how easy/hard it would be? I'm very grateful for any information..Thanks..
    Jessie - I have answered this sort of question a lot of times. Yes it is easy to be married here. You do need some dox and your fiance must organise some for himself. Please go to www.tunisia.com where they have a multitude of forum theads and posts about English women marrying in Tunisia.

Mabrouk
    Hello,

I have a question regarding marriage requirements :

I have all the needed documents, except the birth certificate I have is dated, and getting a new one takes at least six months, way too long, we want to tie the knot in 2 months.

My question is the following, Should I try to go through it with the dated birth certificate I have? Are there alternatives?

Thanks
    Miesho - did I answer you in a private email? I gave you all the details in that..........if you are someone else, please let me have more details please. What is your nationality, are you male or female etc and I can give you more information
    i am us citizen and married in tunisia last april and filed an I-130 visa for my husband.....i send all papers in here and got an reply that they got the papers and of cours the $420.00 application fee and there is a webside they advise to check periodic...i have not heard a word and all i see its still in process...its uppose to take 4-6 months and has been now 3 1/2 months without a word....how long does the process take and why is it taken so long???
    i know they are checking my background and i have no problems with it...my problem is this waiting forever....how will they contact me...for any information on this kind of process i would be grateful...thank you and have a great day
    Lola - I'm sorry but I have no idea how long the process will take. I am certainly no expert in US/Tunisian spouse visas. My best advice is to call the home office (or equivalent) and speak to someone about this. If it is supposed to take up to 6 months then perhaps they haven't finished processing your documents. As I said, give them a call and good luck
    Hello, I would like to know if it is easier to marry in Tunisia or USA? This is all new to me. I am not sure about the Visa process.I am no sure which one to file and where to go. Please give me some answers. Penni
    flowerut36@yahoo.com
    hi I am a Aust women
    my fianc
    JJ - well I'm not sure how complicated it is in the US but here in Tunisia it is pretty easy and straightforward. In regard to the visa well, you are best to contact your home office and they will be able to advise you and give you the correct information
    Sassy - wow!! So many Australian women marrying Tunisian men!!! You don't need to apply to get married here in Tunisia. If all yours and your fiance's dox are in order then all your fiance needs to do is organise the contract signing with a notaire or at his local municipality. That's all there is to it. We do not have civil/religious weddings here.
    ok nice thanks heaps and yeah there is a heap of us i have started to notice that :) are you able to tell me what documents the he will require
    Marriage may occur between:

* Tunisian men and foreign women without any requirements.
    * Foreign men and foreign women provided each party obtains from their respective embassies the documents required by the Tunisian authorities prior to marriage.
    * Foreign non-Muslim men and Tunisian Muslim women provided the man converts. The “Mufti”, the national religious authority, delivers the Certificate of Conversion that must be presented to City Hall before a marriage can take place. The conversion process can take three months or longer.
    http://tunisia.usembassy.gov/marriage-tunisia.html
    Sassy - as long as he is a Tunisian citizen he will need his original birth certificate (this shows all his life events), his passport and carte d'identitie. You will both need blood tests and these can be done here very quickly.
    lesley ----thanks heaps i though he would need his birth cert, passport, but i wasn't sure what else he may have needed
    just to confirm myself i require
    1/ birth certificate no more then 20 days old
    2 / no impendant of marriage no more then ?????? days/ months old
    3/ is there anything else i may require
    Sassy - here is a list of what you will need:

1. Birth certificate no more than 21 days old - translated, copied and certified
    2. Certificate of No Impediment (CONI) - should be very recent but not sure of how many days
    3. If you have been married previously - original marriage certificate, translated certified
    4. Document of Decree Nisi - translated and certified
    5. Copies of the bio page of your passport

I think that's all. You will have to have blood tests here when you arrive but they are very quick and in some cases you can have the results back the same day.

The Canadian Embassy is able to assist with consular matters/document attestation/advice for Australians. They are excellent and their service is fantastic - I've used them many times.
    lesley- where can i get the Document of Decree Nisi cause it is the first i have heard of this one
    and as for the blood tests are there particular doctors who do them in tunisia cause my parnter checked with his doctor and the doc told him the he couldnt do it and that it was better if i get it done here before i leave but i personlay would like to get it done there in tunisia
    as for the canadian embassy in tunisia i have emailed them twice about what i need to get married but still havent heard anything back from them so yeah this is why i am asking you thank you

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler