Beijing China Solo Travel Tips for Women
1. Things to pack:
Tampons, pads, individually wrapped wipes, lots those little packets of tissue (there is a shortage of toilet paper here), and a couple of pairs of gloves - thin dress gloves. Many local women here wear them. You can buy them here in the department stores with shoe brushes and polish.
2. Safety Tips for Women:
In general, foreign women are unlikely to suffer serious sexual harassment in Beijing. Police tend to investigate crimes against foreigners more closely than they do crimes against locals, and more severe penalties are often imposed. This offers non-Chinese women with a kind of important aura of protection. For more women solo travel tips, please read the valuable advice below:
1) Use your body language: keep your head up, swing your arms and act confident. Adopt an easy attitude. Walk with purpose and you'll become less of a target for hustlers who prey on disoriented or timid travellers.
2) If you are being followed in the street and you feel threatened, you just go to a shop nearby and carmly tell the clerk: "I am a foreigner and someone is following me. I am frightened and need your help." If necessary, ask the clerk to call a taxi or police officer for you.
3) It would be much safer to sit or stand next to other women or family groups in restaurants, either on trains or buses, or in other public places. It is unlikely that you will be attacked if you're in the company of other people.
4) Don't travel around alone too late at night.
5) Don't wear expensive jewellery overtly.
6) Some thieves prefer crowded areas - stay alert in places like buses, bus stations, where you're likely to be jostled.
7) Hide valuables (cash, cheques and credit cards) on a belt worn under the clothes next to the skin.
8) Thinking of carrying a 'dummy' wallet containing a small amount of cash. If you are directly faced by a mugger, you can hand over the dummy wallet and keep from further harm.
9) Take with you at all times the contact details of your local travel agency, and also your embassy in China.