Passport Question - do I have to leave after 90 days in Schengen countries

Comments

• edited 10:44PM
    Hi There,
    I am an American Citizen and Until Recently I was a student (on a legitimate student visa) studying in the UK. I graduated my masters programme in November, so ceased my Student Visa then. I went back home to the States in November and came back to the UK just before December and stayed with my boyfriend (who is still at the University). I entered the UK on a 6 month tourist visa which expires in April. I travelled to Israel for a week long vacation to visit friends a short time ago, but on entering back into the UK I was questioned about why I was coming back; saying that I had been in Europe to try and extend my 6-month visa. I told immigration in the UK that I was simply in the UK until April but the Immigration Officer told me I was only allowed to stay til March. I'm really confused - am I now 'bound' to the UK on my tourist Visa? My partner and I had wanted to inter-rail in Europe in March, but I'm afraid I won't be allowed back into the UK for the last few weeks of my visa; or worse that if I try to leave the country after March I'll get deported back to the states.

Last I heard England wasn't a Schengen country, so why are there problems with me being here for more than 90 days? Any advice? Should I go to an Imigration Adviser? Was my Immigration Officer being a jobsworth, or have I misunderstood the terms of my visa?
    i am a canadian citizen and dont require a visa to stay for up to 90 days however i have a flight to sweden on the 14th which would be 90 days to the date since my arrival on nov 15th - if i leave for 2 weeks can i come back in without a visa or will i have to apply for one?
    I will really appreciate an answer for the following concern:

My son is studying in Paris at the moment using French Student Visa class D. His visa finishes in February. He is intending to go to England for a week then go in again to Paris for 3 month. Australians are not required a visa to stay in Schengen country.

We are aware if he had no Student Visa he can not reenter back into Schengen country unless he stays away for 3 months before reentering again.

Appreciate some help. Thanks verymuch

We read somewhere on the net that says because he first entered the Schengen country using a student visa, he can re-enter (with no 3 months waiting period) after that for another 3 months.

Please comment if this will be a problem for him, if so what will happen when he tries to re-enter at the airport?
    Any input helps!

I have a Spanish student visa type D, "hasta 6 meses" It has specific dates on it, on which I assume I am allowed to be in Spain. However, I entered Spain a few days after the start date, and also spent a week in Morocco. Do those days give me extra time for me visa? Or is it strictly only the days stated on the visa itself?

Also, am I allowed to go to Morocco and re-enter on a tourist visa? A lot of people told me I could do this and a lot of people told me that I have to leave for 90 days. I am trying to get a job as an English teacher, but am afraid to overstay my visa, and am also afraid to go to Morocco and be denied back into Spain. Any advice helps!
    I am an American citizen staying in France. I have paperwork recognizing me as a citizen of Italy, but I do not have an Italian Passport or ID card. My boyfriend who lives in France has been recently hospitalized for heart problems. After his hospitalization I have been caring for him at home but my US visa runs out next week (end of February). We planned to take a trip from France to Italy to get an ID card so that I could stay in the EU but he is not able to travel at the moment and I cannot leave him alone at the moment. What options to I have to stay and care for him here until I can get a valid EU passport? Can I plead to the Italian Consulate in Lyon (as I am in the Languedoc region of France at the moment) for an emergency expedited Italian Passport?
    I am an Australian citizen living in America. I have just become an American citizen. I will be traveling back to Australia in March, staying for 2 months. I have a U.S. passport and an Australian passport. They are in different names. My Aussie one is in my maiden name and my U.S. is in both my maiden name and married name. For example Robyn Smith, and U.S. pp... Robyn Smith Brown.
    I have purchased my ticket in Robyn Smith Brown.....not sure what the procedure is when traveling to and from these two countries. Can I just use my U.S. passport, and if so, do I need a visa to get into Australia.....or do I use both?
    Hi, I'd also like to clear some of this up. I will be spending 90 days in Italy, am I able to spend a week in Britain before hand, or do I need a Visa to do this , can I spend more than 90 days in Italy and Britain combined?

Thanks so much,

Summer Au Pair Kirsten
    Hi, I'd also like to clear some of this up. I will be spending 90 days in Italy, am I able to spend a week in Britain before hand, or do I need a Visa to do this , can I spend more than 90 days in Italy and Britain combined?

Thanks so much,

Summer Au Pair Kirsten

Thanks so much,

Summer Au Pair Kirsten
    Hi, I'm an Australian citizen and later this year I am looking to travel to Germany from mid June to early August under the Schengen State visa agreement, return home and then travel back to Germany in late November for another couple of months. Do you know if this is possible? There are more than 90 days between my planned return in August and departure to go to Germany again in late November but I was wondering if you have to wait a full 180 days from the initial date that I depart in June or whether it's just 90 days that I have to wait from when I return to Australia in early August? This looks like the appropriate place to ask these things.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance! :)
    Hi, I'm an Australian citizen and later this year I am looking to travel to Germany from mid June to early August under the Schengen State visa agreement, return home and then travel back to Germany in late November for another couple of months. Do you know if this is possible? There are more than 90 days between my planned return in August and departure to go to Germany again in late November but I was wondering if you have to wait a full 180 days from the initial date that I depart in June or whether it's just 90 days that I have to wait from when I return to Australia in early August? This looks like the appropriate place to ask these things.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance! :)
    Hi all,
    Here is my story, please help.

I got my visa on October 31, 2011 and spent in Schengen area from 1 Nov 2011-7 Jan 2012 (68 days).
    On April 10, 2012 (after 94 days being out) I bought my ticket to go to Schengen zone again to get married. For marriage I need time, I mean it's not to do in a few days. So, my question is, can I start a new 90 days from 10 April, till I finish with all matrimonial documentations? If not, can i extend my time there to stay more till I finish?
    Thanks for answering.
    So I'm an American citizen, and I'm currently in Spain, au pairing for a family. I arrived on January 15th and I leave in a week and a half. All added up, I will have been here for 83 days. I'm going back to the United States for a few months, but planning on returning to Spain for another three months on June 28th. If I understand correctly, I can only stay in the country for 90 days out of a 180-day time frame. That means my 180-day time frame ends on July 13th and cumulatively, I will have reached my 90 days on July 5th. So..I have this really awkward over-lap and eight days where I'm staying past ninety days. But on the 13th, a new 180-day period starts. Should I try to apply for some sort of visa? Or should I just risk it? Would problems arrive in trying to get back into Spain in June, or would it be when I left in September? On September 13th, I'm leaving Spain and traveling across Europe for two weeks, leaving out of Rome on September 26th. From what I've read, Italy seems to be pretty lenient on these sorts of things, but will I have any problems going from country to country via trains? Any advice? Please help!
    So I'm an American citizen, and I'm currently in Spain, au pairing for a family. I arrived on January 15th and I leave in a week and a half. All added up, I will have been here for 83 days. I'm going back to the United States for a few months, but planning on returning to Spain for another three months on June 28th. If I understand correctly, I can only stay in the country for 90 days out of a 180-day time frame. That means my 180-day time frame ends on July 13th and cumulatively, I will have reached my 90 days on July 5th. So..I have this really awkward over-lap and eight days where I'm staying past ninety days. But on the 13th, a new 180-day period starts. Should I try to apply for some sort of visa? Or should I just risk it? Would problems arrive in trying to get back into Spain in June, or would it be when I left in September? On September 13th, I'm leaving Spain and traveling across Europe for two weeks, leaving out of Rome on September 26th. From what I've read, Italy seems to be pretty lenient on these sorts of things, but will I have any problems going from country to country via trains? Any advice? Please help!
    hi!
    i'm an american citizen who will be flying to denmark (a Schengen country, i believe) to see my boyfriend before heading to lebanon for fieldwork. i am planning on purchasing an airline ticket that will be for longer than 90 days, HOWEVER, most of that time will actually be spent in lebanon, so i won't be in violation of anything.
    the problem is, i did this once before, and obviously had no issues in denmark, but DID have issues with the airline in los angeles. i explained the situation, and they asked me if i had my second itinerary on me. i didn't (everything is online nowadays and i didn't have a smartphone at the time), so they forced me to change my return date...to the tune of $600. boo.
    my question is: if i DO bring my second itinerary this time around, will i be okay? or am i going to have to make sure i come back to the US sometime within those 90 days? (what a pain in the a** that would be!)
    eec
    Ok my 90 days will be up on may 2 in germary my husband in the military and won't to stay longer how do I go about doing this
    Hi, I'm from Turkey, resident in the uk. I'm applying for a schengen visa to travel to italy. I will be in Italy for just a few hours, I then go over the boarder into France. Do I need to get another visa for France or am I fre to trave in france with my Italian visa?
    This whole Schengen visa thing is sooooo annoying. It has totally wrecked those who would like to take a gap year bumming around Europe before or after college. It is just sort of the luck of the draw in terms of catching people or not.

When we entered Italy last year, they never stamped or even looked at our passports! My daughter even walked over to the passport guy and he angrily waved her away! So there was no record as to when we came in (except probably the microchip in our passports recorded when we boarded the plane in the US - do not forget about that! Your every movement is probably recorded in the passport now and they can probably find you wherever you are with the newer microchipped passports.)

BUT we discovered that we had come to Italy on the wrong visas (based on info given both my spouse in Italy and me by the Italian consulate in Philly) and had to return to the US to get the proper visas from the consulate in PA. You have to get the Italian visa from the consulate who has jurisdiction over your permanent address!

I lived in Italy for over a year (legally, as the hubby was working there). Heard all sorts of horror stories about people who overstayed and then were banned from all Schengen countries for two or five years.

It is not worth the risk to overstay your visa if you think you would like to return to any Schengen country in the near future. And with the Schengen agreement expanding, it is a total drag for world travellers......
    Hello, I am an Australian married to a French man, I am Currently 8 months pregnant and my 90 days in France will end on the 26th april which is also my last week to fly on any airline being 36 weeks, I haven't been leaving this to the last minute it's just been difficult trying to gain a longer visa in France when the French Consulate in 'Sydney' asks for Original Documentation, I am already here, I only have one copy of my wedding certificate and I had it translated by the french consulate in sydney, Why can't I show these perfectly legitmate documents here? I don't want to loose my original dcuments in the mail. Is there anyone in this country who can help me??? I am very DESPERATE
    hi am from morocco i was married to british citizen i was in uk under visa spouse 2years and half it is valid till june 2013 i was pregnant 34 weeks i did a schengen visa to travel for holiday to paris on november but there we had some problems so idecided to leave my husband coz i was badly angry and i wanted to finish my pregnancy happily i went italy and i stay with my family to give birth in peace i knew that i have just 90 days in schenegen visa but my baby was less than 1 month to travel and i gave birth by cizarien i couldnt travel so i ask for permission to stay and they give me permission for medical cure (maternity) it will finish in july when my baby is 6 months i want now go back UK but i dont know how
    - can i travel with this document i got in italy?
    - what for the baby do i need to get visa for her or register her in uk embassy?
    - my husband refuse any contact between us even the girl he dont want her anymore he refuse any help so what can i do please can anyone help me with informations.
    Awesome for this forum. I am great to read all the comment over here.

I am a Malaysian(3rd country nation). I been travel to Austria follow the rules "90 days out of a total of 180 days" on last year May 2011 to Aug 2011(90days) and then now Mar2012 to May 2012.(90 days).This is because my husband (i.e: Malaysian) and he is working over here almost 5 years and holding the " Rot-Weiss-Rot-Karte plus".

My 90days will be due on 30.05.2012, he have decided to let me stay longer with him in Austria(maybe more than 6 month). I have no idea what should i do and what kind of visa shall i apply because currently i am away from my home country (i.e: Malaysia). I am not sure whether those visa/permit i can apply in Austria?

i wish someone can help me on this. You help is much appreciated. Danke!!
    For Italy then 90 days there and then 90 days out before able to return for 90 days?

My daughter will be studying there; am I able to be there from August to May?

Grazie
    If I have been in Germany for 80 days and fly back to New York for 2 weeks can I return to Germany for another 90 days?
    Glenn
    Hi, Glenn.
    As what i am understand you can only stay another 10 days more when you back to Germany again. It's because of "90 days out of a total of 180 days" rules.
    Example :
    01.01.20112 ur passport stamped in Germany, you stay until 28.02.2012 ( total 59 days) then you go back to New York on 28.02.2012. 90 days - 59 days = 31 days balance. So, maybe you come back again on 01.04.2012 then will due on 01.05.2012.(02.05.2012 consider overstay 1 day). 90 days IN (any of EU country, and 90 days OUT (non-EU) then you can only come back again to any of EU country.In another words, 180days (6 months, you only can stay max 3 months in any EU country).

In 1 year (12months) you can stay max is 6 months but not continuously. It is 6 months (stay 3 month then you have to go out EU country for 3 months).

I hope my information can provide you the right answer.
    Hi,
    I am an Australian who has been living in Belgium for the past year on a residence permit. My permit expires in August, but I'd like to make use of my 90-day visa-free schengen rights. So, if I leave Schengen for a day before my permit expires, and then re-enter, does this entitle me to 90 days stay here on my tourist passport?
    Thanks!
    Here is an example of how it works guys.

Day 1 - January 1st you arrive in a Schengen Zone country such as Germany for example. From January 1st (Day 1) till midnight on June 29 (Day 180) you are only allowed to stay in the Schengen zone for a maximum of 90 days in that 180 day period.

If you stay for longer than 90 days in that period, you will have broken the visa regulations. You may be caught when you eventually try to leave, or you may be caught when you next try to re-enter (when you try to re-enter, passport control will be able to see computer records showing how long you had stayed in the Schengen Zone when you last visited).

Now, Say you arrived in a Schengen Zone country such as Germany on Jan 1 (day 1) and stayed till Jan 30 (day 30). On Jan 30, you leave and go to the UK for 21 days. Then you want to return to the Schengen Zone. When you re-enter the Schengen Zone, you can only stay for up to another 60 days in the 180 day period that started when you first entered back on Jan 1. The 180 day period will end on Jun 29, and no matter how many times you leave the Schengen zone, you must leave before Jun 29 or else you will be in breech of the visa conditions.

If you leave on or before Jun 29 (and have not stayed in the Schengen Zone for more than 90 days in that period between Jan 1 and Jun 29) then you can return to the Schengen Zone on Jun 30 and then get 'a new 180 day period' whereby you can stay legally for 90 days over the next 180 days.

So to understand. the 180 day period starts when you first arrive in the Schengen Zone. If you then leave the Schengen Zone after 30 days (for example) and then come back in 5 days later (for example), you do not get a new 90 days of stay or a new 180 day period.

Now the rule is a little confusing here, but hope I can clear something up easily. You arrive in Germany (Schengen Zone) on Day 1 (Jan 1). You have to leave by day 180 (Jun 29) or 90 days (whichever comes first). But stay you arrived Jan 1 and stay for 30 days (till Jan 30). You leave and do not return within the next 90 days since you left on Jan 30 (the day you last left). So, say you then come back to Germany (Schengen Zone) on Jun 1, you will now get a new 180 day period within which you can stay for a maximum of 90 days. This means, that if you stay away from the Schengen Zone for more than 90 days, then you will get a new 180 day period within which you can stay for 90 days.
    Hmm in short the number of this will continuously counting until it is done. So better make your time valued so you could enjoy your stay.
    Hi
    I am an Australian that has a working holiday visa valid for a year. I haany ears
    Many different things regarding the permesso di sorgino .. Permit to stay. What would happen if I didnt get it? I am only in italy for. About 120 days then I'm heading home I'm not going to work I have decided . can any one tell me if I should bother getting the permit? Surly with the visa in my passport I want have any problems about overstaying.
    Lou83
  • edited July 2012
    Hello!
    I'm an American citizen that will be traveling from Paris to Morocco by walking, train, car, etc., within a 4 week time frame. I will then spend 3 months in Morocco. So the question I have is I want to buy a ticket for 4 months. I arrive in Paris October 1st and by November I'll be in Morocco. Will I be allowed in the Schengen zone with a 4 month airline ticket that leaves from Casablanca back to the US? Thank you!
    Hello,
    I am an American citizen and I have been in Germany for over a year now, with a study visa that expires on the 30th of Sept. 2012. I want to travel some around Europe, so I was wondering if I leave on the 30th of September for example to the UK, can I re-enter Germany or any EU country on the next day as a tourist or do I have to wait 90 day to re-enter? Hope someone can help me because I have E-mailed the immigration offices here in Germany and I have not got a respond! Thank you for your time!