Check out our country and city guides at www.wordtravels.com

Is it safe to travel to Myanmar / Burma?

edited March 29 in World Wide
Hello - I would love to travel to Burma/ Myanmar before it gets properly opened up and becomes another Thailand. Is it safe to travel there? Are you restricted to certain areas and are there any other considerations? Anyone been there recently who can advise? T.

Comments

• edited 12:13PM
    Hello, I never been to Myanmar, I also have questions like you, somebody tell me? Thank you so much :)
  • edited October 2013
    Dear jasond and hathuylieu,

Greetings from Myanmar !
    It is safe to travel main tourist destinations in Myanmar,though we have some restricted areas.
    The best time to visit there is from mid October to end of April.
  • Yes Dear, you can visit there. 
  • Hi there,
    Myanmar is wrestling with some serious sectarian violence, but this is not in any way aimed at foreigners and you should be fine if you do your research properly and know which regions to avoid. Violent crime against foreigners is rare - Myanmar actually has lower crime rates than many countries in the region. There have been a series of bomb attacks, mostly aimed at government installations, and although these don't usually target tourists directly it is worth exercising caution in public places. Terrorism of this sort is a possibility in many countries though. If you want an adventurous, off-the-beaten-track holiday in a relatively unexplored country then Myanmar is a very good choice. The main tourist destinations are generally considered safe.
  • Hi! there,
    Myanmar is very safe for tourists. Yes, Myanmar is struggling with some violence which is only targeting former military government and not to tourists. Secondly, there are many tourism police and highway police being on duty in main tourism destinations. Thirdly, the rate of crime in Myanmar is lower than neighboring countries. Therefore, Myanmar is a safe place for you to travel.
    snow-capped mountain, pristine beach, temple jungle, wild life adventure, diving in archipelago, discover authentic life style of remote community. Just visit and find it out.
  • Hi,
    I am wondering if the situation in Myanmar has improved since the comments above? I hear it's a great tourist destination but then there are still human rights horror stories in the news. The country is now democratic though right? Are there still restricted areas and serious danger from ethnic conflict?
  • edited May 30
    @Kahlan, the advice I gave above hasn't really changed. Myanmar has taken big steps towards democracy since the recent election, but the country is still struggling with serious ethnic conflict. This sectarian violence seldom affects tourists though and crime rates remain low.

Check out the advice given on Myanmar/Burma by the British FCO: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/burma taking particular note of the regions they advise aren't safe for travel.

And check out the free Word Travels guide to Myanmar to help plan your trip if you do decide to go.