Tunisia in Ramadan

• edited 3:58PM
    Tina - everything is open after sunset when we can eat and drink. I am not sure if the discos operate but of course they will in the tourist hotels so don't worry.
  • edited 3:58PM
    Shreena - everything will be operating as normal during Ramadan in all the resort areas so don't worry you can sight see and shop until you drop the only thing I ask is that you do not eat and drink in the street and if you smoke perhaps you could do it where no one can see you. Also please have patience with us during this time, it is very hard for us not to eat, smoke and especially smoke during this period and we can all get a little 'tetchy' so patience and understanding is great
  • Hi Lesley,

Thanks for all the info you are providing on these Tunisia threads. I hope to travel to Sousse this summer holiday with husband, son (9) daughter (16 months) and mum (70!). My query is a little unusual in that it is my intention to travel to Tunisia in order to fast! Are there any hotels that would cater for Ramadan and provide pre-dawn meals and Iftars yet be fun for the kids? Am I being too ambitious? I enjoy experiencing Ramadan in different countries and thought Tunisia near the Grand Mosque would be good.

Many thanks

• Alia I suggest you go self catering. Or if you do stay in a hotel buy food for Zuhoor the pre dawn breakfast.

Do you not think that Tunisian hotel staff have a hard time working in Ramadan and that maybe they would want to pray and eat the pre dawn meal with their own family before a long days work.?

On a final note travellers are not required to observe Ramadan

• We have a tendency to were there last year and the only thing that we have a tendency to noticed was a number of the bars closed for about 20 minutes at sun set to permit the workers time to eat.
  • Alethia, 

Yes I could go self catering but going to a country for the first time one tends to feel it is easier to stay at a hotel. I find it unusual that in Tunisia they would not cater for Muslim travellers - after all most hotels are staffed 24 hours a day and workers have to stop for Iftar too. In Cairo and elsewhere we used to eat what the hotel staff were eating and the atmosphere was very welcoming.

I know that I would not be required to observe fasts but it is a special time and I would want to be a part of it.
  • A77c ,
    The difference between Cairo and Tunisia is that the majority of hotels in the Tunisian seaside resorts eg Sousse, Hammamet,Monastir Skanes cater for non muslim European package holidaymakers.who are seeking a week or fortnights holiday and have no interest in Ramadan. The summer season is when the hotel workers make the majority of their income and are reliant on tips

Cairo hotels cater for people from all over the world all year round ,who are passing through for a few days.

Tunisia is also nominally Muslim whereas Egypt is completely Muslim.

I hope you find what you are looking for.