How would you know if your boyfriend you've met thru internet is for real and not a scammer?

• Nigeria police cant Arrest him. Is West Africa. And also Nigeria ppl are the most criminal People in West Africa. Stop comunicate with him. Change ur everything.
  • edited March 2014
    Hey guys thax for the great articles, my friend fell to the same trap, (+44790 783 1711) those were his details, 1 year ago he said he was from uk and was in military camp that's why he cant sent the package clearance fee, unfortunate with her she sent money to Malaysia $1000 and never heard from him ever again.
    but it seems the whole scam is going to a better height now am being pursued also by a man  i met online, still not much feeling for him coz of the warning signal from my friend experience, he claims he is in italy working there near Milan, we Skype most of the time but i still got instinct the the bombshell is coming soon! yet am getting fond of him as well, what is the best way to make him dance to his own music if he is  really coming up scam? pls help

• dose anyone know a guy named tom richard or tom hanadez let me know i feel like he is scamming me he is in nigeria please help
  • I hate to say this but if he is in Nigeria and has two names then he is a scammer. Both the names you mention come up on the 419 Scam site regarding scammers in Nigeria
  • Hi ladies, i am thankful for finding this thread. I met a guy with the exact conversation as the one Momo has copied and pasted here. Apparently he is supposed to be on flight to Milan now. I will share his details here after i deal with him.
  • edited May 2014
    The guy whom i met and said things exactly as Terry (in Momo's case) is called Owen Taylor from Manchester, UK. I got to know him from Interpals and his username is Owen35. Apparently he is travelling to Milan, Italy and before he flied, he has sent me 8000 pounds along with his "rose flower, teddy bear, necklace and hand bag" which i only got to know through email today. You can find his profile here:

The other guy i met on the same site is called Richard Eric Kenny (username Erice44k). He is from London and works in Sony (i feel a little bad for Sony). His lines were slightly different but they pointed generally to the same trick. His story is he is going to Berlin, Germany for work for 2 weeks and he wants to send me some gifts before he travelled. Before he could proceed further, i cut him off. Please see his profile here:

I was lucky because i started talking to the 2 guys around the same time and i felt strange when i realised they behaved similarly. I quickly googled and found this thread. I also realised that they will "connect" with you for around 2-3 weeks before they pull the stunt - so do watch out.

I hope all ladies should really be careful and wary with online dating. By posting here, i hope to that it will help some ladies who are facing the same situation. I pity these people who made use of people's emotions to scam but i believe Karma will come. :))
  • Anna45 where are you from ? 
    Alethia I like how you are helping people here. God bless you. 
  • edited July 2014
    I had just spotted one scammer who used photos of a Russian minister.
    The videocam was short but he looked very alike to the pictures (syndicate or stolen video?)

All women must be careful and checked everything properly such as his images, his grammar writing and other suspicious things should not be ignored.
    No money should be involved in the beginning of relationship either online or non-online.

This scammer kept on convincing me to have trust in human (?) when I told him stop saying that he loved me, missed me, wanna marry me which sounded to me very fake (I am a young and very attractive woman, never married and have good position). He even started to be suspicious to me during several conversations, thinking i might be one of them (?).
    They also asked alot about you financial condition and promising a lot of things which are fake.
    I checked on his fb and could tell that all women he befriended were those whom are very easily to be preyed (sorry).

He told me that he had arrived in Malaysia, I told him that i knew who he was. He denied but i showed him all evidence including the fb of real guy. He finally admitted and telling me more pitiful things about him got cheated and wanted me to come and visit him in Malaysia in which i had rejected from the beginning.
    So he said thank you and bye and had stopped befriending me (thank you very much :)). He also deleted all the fake pictures.

I met my current boyfriend online, i asked him to come to my country and he agreed and we met and enjoyed our day ever since. Bottom line, be wise and protect yourselves.

• Does anybody have any pictures of this person ......Heartbroken especially you . My story is the same but I think I know who this person is ......There is an investigation taking place now and I need to get as much information as possible .
  • William h... I went thru the same thing except they wanted ! 750.00 us dollars. I have a picture what's your email I could send it to you
  • Hi all,
    I met a guy online. He's from UK, architech, widower wife died 18 months ago, got 7 yr old daughter. At first he gave me his email add and moved out from the dating site. im new to the dating site. First he got a long email then after two weeks he expressed his love for me and telling me he was amazed by my words.
    We talked on the phone, send me pictures and i did the same. He got his FB account but no friends, he said he hide it. But what bothers me is that he's asking how much im earning and he mentioned that he just want to know if my company is paying us good compared to the UK. BTW im from the Philippines. Now he said he's going to Malaysia to finished his late father's oil contruction transaction and since he's the next in kin, the company will award it to him. When we were chatting he told me this will be the best way to come here in the Philippines since it's near Malaysia but he suggested that i will be taking care of the hotel reservation and i instantly replied i can't afford it ( though i can if i really need to ) and he replied i need to sacrifice as well for our love so that made me think. Then je's asking me how much money on my account which i did not disclose. He will be in Malaysia next week, so ill wait till then if he will be asking money or if he will be coming here for real. Is he a scammer? im also confused. Appreciate your help.
  • I have no doubt that this man is a scammer. His behaviour is typical of a scammer, they get you to move off the dating site and chat on instant messenger or email and then very quickly claim they love you.
    His story about being a widower with a child is also a standard tale used by scammers over and over.

Why would a British architect be able to go to Malaysia and just takeover a construction contract ? Multi million dollar international companies run oil and construction contracts not a single person who takes over from his dead father , its too ridiculous.
    The Philippines is a poor country and salaries cannot be compared to the UK , by asking questions about your salary and bank account the scammer is trying to find out if you have money.

Don't be confused just stop all contact with this man, he does not love you and is only after money.

• edited September 2014
    Thank you so much for your prompt reply. I'm just scared he might be using my pictures and my email add. I will be blocking him on my FB, it's so sad that they are using the name of God just to get you and make you feel like you are being loved.
    This forum is really very helpful. Thanks. God bless us!
  • I recently met a guy on FB. He said he sent me a packsge from where he is working now, which is India. He lives in Boston. A few days afyer I received the confirmation email about my package being sent with the tracking info, the said tge package was now in Dubai and that I had to send them through Western Union 860.00 US dollars for them to send me the package. I told this guy about it and he said that for me to please pay it so I can get all my birthday gifts he sent me and that he will pay me back. He keeps on insisting on me sending the payment and sometimes to different names. I need advice. I believe im being scammed too. I have his picture and he goes by the name of Alex Forrester. Please help.
  • Oh, and he also has very poor grammer, tild me that he loved me in a matter of days and calls my kids his kids.. a bit scary.
  • Sorry about my misspelled words. Im just typing very fast.
  • Julie, I think you know this is a scam. There is ZERO reason that you would have to send money to Dubai in order to receive a package sent to you from India. Please cut off all contact with this man.
  • Anya,
    I have already stopped communicating with this man. He has sent me a few FB messages but I've ignored them. Seems like he might be taking the hint, because before he was messaging me at all hours of the day and night. Hopefully he will stop all together. Thank you. By the way, his name is Alex Forrester. Or at least thats what he claims it to be.
  • All my life, I always carried two things in mind! 1. The world is beautiful and full of wonderful people! 2. The world is ugly and full of ugly people! The common ground in ds two groups is the people we meet and how we interact!
    I am a Nigerian, and a male friend I had known since 2005 sat down and thought of a subtle to way to scam me may 2011(but I'm taking legal actions against him)!
    Anybody wo starts asking you for money immediatly in a relationship is a sure scammer and a thief!
    Be careful! People who easily ask for money are Judas's!
    However your instinct should tell you! Love is beautiful but don't let it steal your joy
    Be careful!
    Be vigilant!
  • Has anyone heard of Daniel Steffansson? Dan8882 is a profile name he's used on OK Cupid, and Plenty of Fish evidently. His email address:
  • Adelweiss. this is a travel forum not a forum for finding lost scammers. No one has heard of Daniel Steffanson because he is probably a scammer, so dump him and move on before your stupid enough to lose your life savings!
  • Adleweiss. If he is asking you for money
    than for sure it is a red flag and for sure he is a Loser. So if he do that then you know you don't deserve someone like that. I mean what kind of a guy would ask any lady for money. I am a lady I am so shame to ask any guy for money. Of course I am speaking for myself only. But get to know him better. If he asking for you to help him with money then Obviously he is up to no good. And that's when you dump him.
  • Thank you Osamy and trust me this guy is well gone, I was curious if anyone else had encountered this name!

FYI Alethia... Your tone is very rude, plus, the heading on this thread reads 'How would you know if your boyfriend you've met thru internet is for real and not a scammer?'
  • edited October 2014
    Adleweiss, this is indeed a travel forum and not a forum for naive lonely heart suckers who are stuck in a constant quagmire of obvious scammers who are busy taking these idiots to the cleaners.

The fact that there's a few threads here filled with fools reiterating their tales of woe does not change that fact.

All the best to you.

• edited October 2014
    Adleweiss, you are welcome btw if Your gutt or inner self or better yet your instinct that tell you something
    bad about him than you know you are right about him. Be sure to pay attention to your instinct. Because you know yourself your whole life. And when that's starting to make sense then start brainstorming and asks yourself what if its happen to your friend and what would u do to solve her problem. And that's will makes you head to the right direction. So good luck and I hope you have a wonderful day...Aloha!
  • edited November 2014
    Hi everyone... I just want to ask some help on how to know if the person you are dealing with is telling you the truth. Ive been reading about cat-fishers online and I am quite disturbed. I am in a relationship with a person from Australia. He doesn't ask me any money or anything... As a matter of fact he is the one sending me presents. I live in the Philippines. We constantly send each other emails until such time when he decided to phone me regularly... I asked him if we could skype, but he has all the reasons in the world why he cannot... He told me he cant buy the gadget right now to use for skyping... He has a facebook account, but he doesnt post photos of him from work and or his family. We constantly communicate though i am not at piece because for years i havent seen his face. I checked his number and its registered in Australia... But i dont understand why he cant skype with me... I kept hoping he would. He seemed so nice, and very polite... Not even once that he said something offensive or any words that would make me feel sick. Although, its really mysterious why he cant show me his face... How i wish i know someone who lives near his place or any way i can check this person... By all means i want to know who is behind this... If he was a scammer why he didnt ask for any money or probably obscene photos which are red flags for sure... He send gifts on special occasions and constantly communicate thru phone... I know people will also find this creepy.please if someone could help me, i will really appreciate it.
  • Anne2122, how can you be in a "relationship" with someone when you have never seen his face? That is not a relationship. This man could be married, in a long term relationship with someone else, a criminal or a variety of bad reasons why he will not Skype or post photos. 

Your correct in thinking this might be a "Cat Fish" where someone pretends to be someone they are not.

I am sure there are plenty more fish in the sea and you can live without his gifts, so move on girl friend and say bye bye to this man :-h
  • Anne 2112
    Maybe he is fat and not so great looking and does not want to disappointed you...that is probably why he does not want to Skype or he is married or old and scary looking. You should tell him u dont care of how he looks like. In your heart u already accept him. And maybe he might gain that confident if he is so into you. But good luck to you. Peace!
  • Anne, that does sound fishy. What kind of relationship is it where you've never even seen a picture of his face, let alone been in the same room? Where can a relationship like that possibly be leading? Whether or not this is a scam, I think you should cut your losses and find someone closer to home.
  • edited November 2014
    Hello guys, I feel inspired to share two stories with you and need advice on the second one. 

1) This is the case. an year ago a guy contacted me in linkedIn and said he is Construction engineer, living in UK, London. So he asked me what I do for living and when he saw I have a nice job, asked me that it is well paid for my country. Explained he has a final project in Africa and will come after that. Funny, I lived abroad and it was necessary just to hear his accent, cos I have enough friends and can recognise original accent. Anyway, he sounded like not very native guy but the picture he sent was of a typical Brit. He explained he is half British, half American. ...bla bla, he went to Africa and Imagine, Mr Hillary Robertson got a problem. He never mentioned the state, just that it is West Africa. I asked him but...I was sure he play and started following. He was sending me the most beautiful love letters you can imagine. Shakespeare could envy him. Imagine - he got stuck there and needed money to get out. I did not send, of course, told him I have no trust in the situation and that i am so sorry he and all this love is not real. So...funny, but if I write him now, he will call again and asking for money...

2)the second case, I need opinion for. I am afraid it might be a scenario too. Please, give me advise, because this time I felt more emotionally involved and still am in the script of the play. 4 weeks or 3 ago a guy started writing. I did not take it seriously after Hillary Robertson. Strange, he contacted me via google plus. He does not have facebook. He claims to be constructing engineer, american who lives in UK - strange, always engineers - hahah. He sent me photos of his daughter and mother - his wife died. \strange - Hillari's life and son were dead...) This made me be the beginning. He looks sweet and when I talked to him, he had the proper accent. Second thing that bother me is that his contacts in google plus are 338 and only women.... - this is just not right.  In the beginning emails were boring with him explaining his projects and that he must travel with a vessel to Australia and deliver pipelines bla bala. I kept silent and did not mentioned that i have uncle there and just did not tell him about me everything. I did not trust and did not say where I work etc.However, I liked he is not so in love and more direct in this communication. Suddenly, just week later he showed feelings and said he is in love. I started like playing that me too. He became more emotional and was saying he shares his feelings and he wants me etc etc. I said I love him - was already involved. I just felt it. But I expected the moment with the money and that he will ask me like Hillary for sending money, etc. Then suddenly there was a problem with his vessel and they stopped at an island. He needed to give his belongings, contract, laptop and money to a delivering security company and asked me for my postal address. I got scared - work in a government institution, know laws and know that this is strange. He knows me online, for 2 weeks and he wants to send me his documents? He said his mother is in hospital - he said this at the begoinning of this travel and his daughter is in a kindergarten to be cared for - he shared photos with me. How can he be sure that I exists indeed - come on. I know Western people are not so open, even we from Southern Europe. I said I cannot help, he was sick, or so he claimed, got depressed and then started the thing that he asked me to call him because he has less money and units in his phone. I did it so I have a bill to pay. He says now he loves me since he can remember, that I shared his bad moments...he was so nice with me.... btw, the contacts of the company that keeps his stuff in Malaysia - I wrote them and they answered they keep his things and he needs to obtain a special document to claim his things after that. I was surprised. Whatever, he said they managed to Australia - he was in Melbourne the last to days. What is strange is that he says that from Europe there are 9 hours difference, while I know they i 7. Whatever - today he flew, or so he said to Malaysia. I told him to come only if he wants to be with me - because this was the idea. He got insulted that I ask, why do I ask, we had talked he plans to come, so he insisted he will come. Strange ot not I wish he does, but something bothered me. He said his flight from Melbourne is at 9 pm but saw no such flight. There was one at 7&30 pm to Singapore. I saw him online three hours later and send a chat message that I see him online and am sorry to bother him, but just want to know he is fine. Something else - he said he will stay there 2 nights and when he claims his belongings and money, he will tell him to book him a hotel here. There is no answer to my chat yet. What bothers me is that he mentioned he will have a local number - why???? for two nights??? Somethings bothers me. Pity, because I liked him. Still do. He said he is a christian and share same belief like me...I know, it is stupid to say it - but I so hoped he is just a normal guy and wish it. But after Hillary Robertson - the first story I shared with you, and after seeing his contacts - only women.

I think I need that you give me opinion and tell me - is he a scam or might not be? I need advice. Thank you, guys
  • edited November 2014
    Stomova, of course this is a scam, this person is not for real and you know it. Why are you wasting your time with this scammer. Dump him too.
  • So, I wished he was not...hoped this time he is not...Somehow, I cannot understand why they do this. He continued after I did not send him my address. I just wonder - maybe he will try again....I must dump him, but hoped that he is for real. I see no logic in this type of behaviour and business and I am so in love. Means - there is no love online then?
  • Dear scammees..............please, this is a travel forum. There are plenty of other forums for discussions about scammers, please use them
  • Agreed x 2. Especially when it's a dumb, boring, predictable scam.

If it's a cool scam then I'm with Alethia , it's kind of a guilty pleasure, haha...

• Hahaha. He did not yet answer my chat if he is ok, butcthe funniest thing is that the number of women in his circles get lower at each destination. Being now in Malaysiq tbe wimen became 335, one less. Strange, wherever he goes, a contact is deleted.
  • So your "agreed" comment above was meaningless?...

• Indeed, but it is a sdelucate subject of feelings. Me, I feel deeply in live and lost