Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with the forum guidelines:
Check out our country and city guides at

2 months Schengen Visa, is it enough to travel in EU?

edited May 2014 in Europe
Dear all,

I am living in Germany and applied for dependent Visa. During this Visa application process they granted me 2 month Visa to stay in Germany. My husband is planning for 5 days summer holidays trip to Portugal. Do my Visa permit me to travel? or am I allowed to travel to Portugal with this Visa?

Please advise me :)

Thanking you


  • You will have been issued with a temporary residence permit to enable you to remain Germany does this permit allow you to travel outside Germany while you wait for your Aufenthaltserlaubnis or long term residence permit?

    You do not say what country you are from so I am assuming you are non EU or from one of the countries such as USA and Australia who do not require Schengen visas.

    Until you become a German citizen you will need to apply for a Schengen visa to travel in the EU.
  • Dear Ms.Alethia,

    Thank you very much for your comment. As you said, I am a non EU. We both are Indian and both were studied in Germany and my Husband acquired a Full-time job now. So we like to stay together.

    Last 5 years I was living in Germany with student visa. All the old times it was issued as Aufenthaltserlaubnis, but this time it is being issued as Fiktionbescheinigung under the Act of Section 81 Application for the residence title. Therefore you are saying I am not permitted to travel outside of Germany. So you advise me, go to the same Visa office and apply for the Schengen visa to travel in the EU. Am I correct?? or is it possi le to take it in Airport Immigration.

    For your reference, i searched about that Act of Section 81, it means
    ((4) If a foreigner applies for an extension of his or her residence title or issuance of a different residence title, the previous residence title shall be deemed to remain in force from the time of its expiry until the time of the decision by the foreigners authority.) 

    You should say, You are really brilliant in Visa advise (I read some of your comments). Are you working in any Visa process or office?

  • Kayal, I am an immigration and human rights lawyer based in the UK. Thank you for the information regarding the extension of the residence title that makes a lot of sense now I have more information regarding your circumstances.

    You need to apply for a Schengen visa at the Portuguese Embassy, there are several Portuguese consulates in Germany . Often Schengen countries use the services of a company called VFS Global to issue the visas.

    If your husband is not a German citizen he must also apply for a Schengen visa.

    Think you for your kind words and have a lovely time in Portugal 

  • Hi Alethia, I don't think, my husband need S-V. Because previously our student visa and then we had job search visa (from Germany) with that we travelled to Czech Republic, Italy, Austria, France, Switzerland. Even in the security check in the Border crossing, we have not encountered any visa problems.

    Though our discussion was ended, I like to share this info with you, which will help you in Future.

    Thank you, Kayal.
  • Your husband and yourself obviously had been granted valid Schengen State Residence permits., these allow non EU nationals to travel to other Schengen Agreement Countries. If you had made this clear in the first place I could have given the correct advice. 
    It is very difficult without seeing people passports or residence permits and therefore I am giving advice based on what people tell me on here. With each post you have given a little more information , if you had given clear information in the first place we would have reached the right answer earlier.

  • Need help. I am holding a Philippine Passport and currently
    working in Singapore
    in an insurance company. I am also a Registered Nurse in the Philippines
    but only have volunteer experience. I would like to seek advice on how to go to
    Scotland. My
    mother is working there as a Nurse and now a British Citizen. Appreciate if
    someone can help us or advice us on how we can process my papers to be with my

  • The UK is not part of the Schengen group.
  • Hi Alethia,

    Now you knew about my Visa background information. So could you please tell me, do my 2 months visa allow me to travel to Portugal?

    Thank you, Kayal
  • If possible you should avoid travelling outside of Germany while you have a temporary visa ( Fiktionbescheinigung)

    I trawled the German government immigration rules but found the most concise answer on the Goethe University site

    I hope this helps.
  • Hi Alethia,

    Your posted document assisted me in order to call the respective embassy. My 7 days trip was awesome. Thank you very much, kayal
  • You are so welcome Kayal, I am so glad to receive feed back from the advice I give.
Sign In or Register to comment.