Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with the forum guidelines:
Check out our country and city guides at

Schengen Visa Question

edited April 2012 in - General Europe
I have a multiple-entry Schengen visa issued by the German consulate (valid till June 5th). I have already used the visa to visit Germany once but the visa is still valid since it is multiple entry.

I am traveling to Spain (via Paris) on May 25th before my visa expires.

Can I use my Schengen visa even though it is issued by Germany (and not Spain).


  • edited 5:55AM
    Yes off course you can use this visa for your next journey to Spain via France.

    Since these are the Schengen countries and you have valid multiple entry Schengen visa you can visit any Schengen country till its validity (June 5th).

    www (dot) francevisa (dot) co (dot) uk
  • edited 5:55AM
    i'm a crew member on a UK ship wanting to stay onboard as passenger straight after i disembark the ship. the itinerary will be mediterrenean, my question is if its possible that i get a schengen visa while onboard? or if it is, how and where?
  • edited 5:55AM
    I got a single entry schengen visa via the French embassy. However, due to change in schedules, my travel is now to Spain and not to France. Can I still use my Schengen visa to go to Spain? Or do I need to reappear in the Spanish embassy?
  • edited 5:55AM
    I believe u will need to visit france 1st before you go to spain thats part of the visa requirements.
  • edited March 2014

    Kindly can anyone answer my query:

    1- I want to visit France and Belgium for our honeymoon and
    visit to relatives both.

    France Stay: 15 days 
    - visit to my aunt

    Belgium stay: 2 days- visit to my uncle

    Point of Entry: France

    Point of Exit: Belgium

    Question 1: I know I should apply at French embassy as
    duration in france is more. but as my exit is from belgium, so will this affect
    my visa application with France in any negative manner?

    Question 2: What should be the purpose of my visit in my
    Visa Application: Honeymoon and Visit both? or only honeymoon? (the stay shall
    be in Aunt's and uncle's houses).

    Question 3: Invitation letter from Aunt in France is enough?
    or uncle in belgium should also send the invitation letter?

    Question 4: To prove my stay in France and Belgium with my
    relatives, what documents do i need?

    Thanks and Regards

  • Answers to questions.

    1.A Schengen visa issued in France allows for travel to other countries in the Schengen area, so there should be no problem

    2.Your purpose should be a family visit

    3, You need invitation letters from your family in both countries

    4. You need your flight/ travel details and evidence of your relatives legal status in the countries where they live.
  • Dear Alethia,

    That is so kind of you. Thanks a lot!
    Please also let me know if I have to give proof of travel between france and belgium too. I want to purchase air or train ticket from france, and now now. Will the French embassy be expecting me to submit transport proof too between France and Belgium? 
    I already have return flight purchased ticket from my country to France, and then return from Belgium to my country. Thanks
  • You must provide all evidence of travel and accommodation in the Schengen area  when you apply for the visa.
  • Ok thanks. What Im planning is that I show my purchased ticket (return flight), but internal tickets shall be bought later. But Ill show my invitation letters from both countries, France and Belgium. Do u see any issues in this case out of your experience?
  • So far so good but here is a copy of a Schengen visa application form this should assist you and give you more of an idea as to what you need..

  • My father has a Finnish passport and we are trying to get my mother a visa for Portugal. According to the EU Directive she is entitled to a visa with proof of a marriage certificate and my fathers passport but the Embassy in Cape Town is refusing to help her. They are asking for proof of income and address, health insurance and return flight tickets. Would she be issued a visa if she arrives in Portugal without one and provides a marriage certificate and my fathers Finnish passport? We have to leave the country in 2 weeks so we are desperate at this moment. Any help will be greatly appreciated! 
  • The embassy are not refusing to help her they have requested the standard documents for a Schengen visa. All EU countries ask for travel arrangements, health insurance and proof of income as your mother is non EU and needs sufficient funds to maintain herself.
    Normally if you comply with the rules the visa will be issued quickly. You are holding things up by not complying with requirements
  • Hello
    I  used an invitation from a relative in Sweden applied for a schengen visa to travel to Sweden which luckily i got but am planning to go to Switzerland first spend a few days then proceed to Sweden. Now the question, is it a must that i should first travel to Sweden then to other schengen countries in this case Switzerland?
  • Technically you should stick with your itinerary but there should be no problem where you enter.
  • Now if i get to Switzerland what are some of the documents i will ask to provide at the airport? Will i be ask to provide documentation from the person am going to live with like; ID, Passport or Residence permit?
  • Hi Kenbou,
    For starters, make sure you have your full itinerary, onward flight tickets, proof of sufficient funds for your stay, an invitation letter from your relative and booking confirmations for any other accommodation or activities you may have booked. You must carry with you all the documents you used during your visa application as border control are entitled to request to see any or all of them (they may well not bother but better safe than sorry!). If the relative you are staying with is not a citizen of Sweden then yes, it is a good idea to include a copy of their residence permit or whatever official document establishes their right to live there. Enjoy your trip!
  • Ella thank you so much but i got the schengen visa to travel to Sweden but i want to go to Switzerland spend some time with my step mother then later proceed to Sweden, will i be asked to prove where am going to stay or documents from my stepmother? Does she need to write a letter like an invitation or something?
  • Hi again,
    You really shouldn't have a problem - it doesn't matter which Schengen country awarded your visa, you are entitled to travel freely between them. Take along all the documents you needed to get your visa from Sweden, and maybe just to be extra cautious get a letter of invitation from your step mother detailing that you will be staying with her while in Switzerland and her address and contact details etc. All the other documents should be the same whichever country you are going to. The onward flight ticket is the thing they are most likely to ask for. 
  • Noted and thank you so much
  • edited July 2014
    Very interesting post. really informative. of all the blogs I have read on the same topic, this one is actually enlightening. thanks
  • Hello , I have a single entry visa that awarded to me  by the Embassy of Switzerland , however I need to do a trip to France. Can I use this Same Schengen Visa ?
  • edited July 2014
    Yes you can travel to France,that is the concept of the Schengen visa that you have one visa that allows you to visit any country in the Schengen area.
  • Please advise me, if i can travel first time to Paris with my multiple entry business visa of Schengen ( approved through German consulate)  without traveling to Germany.
  • Yes it is OK to go to Paris without going to Germany.
  • Thank you Alethia. Will it be any problem at immigration?
  • There should be no problem and Ella has also clearly answered your question on the same subject.
  • yes dear. Thank you so much . will update you the details once I came back from Paris.
  • I have changen visa for single entry from france consulat and I am right not at France I will like to go visit by flight for 2 night to sweeden and from sex I will like to go to holland that is possible or not?

  • Please can anybody anwer me!!!!
    I have win raffle draw from credit-card to-go spain for 5 days,bank represtative call me to arrange schengen-visa to travel to spain. i'm in KSA working in french company, for me easy to get schengen visa from france embassy. but I've my travel ticket to spain,barcelona. can I go direct to barcelona then later France.

  • You should be fine, but you'll want to have documentation to prove that you're going to France after Spain.
  • Hi there, 
    Just to clarify, are you saying you cannot get a visa for Spain, so you want to know if you can get a visa for France and then travel to Spain as well? Once a Schengen visa has been awarded you are free to travel to all countries in the Scengen zone regardless of which country issued the visa. So, if you get a visa from France and then travel to both Spain and France you should be totally fine. Note that technically the procedure is to get your visa from the country where you are spending the most time, or where you are first entering the Schengen zone.
  • I got a single entry Schengen visa. I will be entering in Budapest and for leaving my flight itinerary is via Vienna, i.e. Budapest to Vienna and then from Vienna to outside Schengen area.

    Can I travel like this? Can I fly from one Schengen country to another on a single entry Schengen visa?
  • Rajurwar, the whole concept of the Schengen Treaty, is one visa that allows a traveller to move freely in Europe from one Schengen country to another. So you can most certainly travel from Budapest to Vienna or any other Schengen country for that matter, while you have a valid visa. Enjoy your trip.
  • Thanks Alethia.
  • rhyrhy
    edited September 2014
    Hi, me, my husband and our friend went to embassy today for visa interview. Since, we have same destination and travel date, only one has need to be interviewed, and that's our friend(shes traveling to france so many times). After the interview, our friend told us that if our visa will get approved, we wont be able to travel without her as she's responsible if we will not be coming back. She said if we travel without her we will got refused in immigration at the airport in France. Is this really possible? Why we cannot travel without her? Hope you can help me. Thank you
  • What your friend told you is absolute nonsense. If and when you are granted your Schengen visa you and your husband can go where you like. Your friend is not your sponsor, you are equal travelling companions, you had to provide the same documents as her. As for being refused at immigration if she's not with you is completely untrue. 

    Some friend ! I would not trust this woman and would be very wary of her in the future.

  • Alethia is right... this woman's story is complete nonsense!
  • Thank you Alethia and Anya for your response. We received our visa and we just ignore that lady, as she keeps reminding us that we cannot travel without her (it's like she want us to shoulder her expenses). Anyway, i already booked our flight and hotel but i noticed that our visa has NO remarks on it. What does it mean? our visa validity is only for 3 months.I try to search on the internet but i coudn't find the answer, we just so worried that we're going to be refused.  
  • If you've been granted your visa, you can travel within the Schengen Zone for three months. Enjoy your trip!
  • edited October 2014
    Hi Rhy, I am so pleased you were granted the visa. Anya is correct you have been given the full 90 days to travel in the Schengen area. That is the maximum time you can stay in the Schengen countries.Have a great time.
Sign In or Register to comment.