Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with the forum guidelines: http://forum.wordtravels.com/discussion/17906/word-travels-guidelines-for-forum-posts/
Check out our country and city guides at www.wordtravels.com

Getting a Cuba tourist card

1235»

Comments

• One hour is a very quick layover time for an international flight! You haven't given yourself much leeway for delays!
  • You can't buy the Tourist Card in San Paulo because there are no flights from there to Cuba.

Are you travelling on one ticket? In other words is your luggage checked straight through from San Paulo to Havana?

Cheers,
    Terry
  • Hi sorry i was away. Yes my luggage is checked straight through from Sao Paulo, Brazil, to Havana. Yes copa airlines does fly from Sao Paulo to Havana. The 1 hr layover in panama does not involve us having to check in luggage again.

Cheers!
  • edited December 2014
    My girlfriend and I (I'm from New Zealand and she's from the Philippines) are thinking of flying from Cancun to Havana - I was reading Wikitravel and it said in order to get a tourist card you need to supply a whole lot of info, like your approved leave from your job, hotel bookings etc. Is this true, or is a lot easier from Cancun? Cheers!
  • edited December 2014
    Wikitravel is (as happens all the time) incorrect.

Purchasing the Tourist Card in Cancun takes 30 seconds. Everyone else on your flight will be buying one too. Absolutely zero paperwork required.

Have fun.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • Quick Question:  I have read a lot on the forum and I probably missed this part.  Am american and if flying into Cancun, when I have searched to purchase ticket to Cuba it is in Euros, Canadian..etc..   How would say an american purchase flight ahead of time or is it on the fly once you get there.
    I read that there are CC out there (nonaffiliated), would that be best to acquire if possible?
    Thanks.
  • Mexico City is a better gateway with 3 airlines compared to only Cubana out of Cancun.

In any case buy a ticket with your US Credit Card on the Cubana website or here: http://www.cubatravelnetwork.com/en/flights/cuba_flights.asp

Have fun.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I am a dual British and Russian citizen holding valid passports for both and flying to Cuba in 3weeks time. Do I need to acquire a tourist card before I leave as I am flying from the UK via Spain, even though online it says Russian citizens do not need a visa?

I would greatly appreciate your help!

Best,
    AG

P.s. If anyone can recommend a trusted insurance company to take out cover for my trip with, I would also appreciate that (I usually use American Express, but obviously that's not helpful for Cuba)
  • It's true that you don't require a Tourist Card for Cuba, but bring some documentation that backs that up just in case you have a dumb check-in agent who doesn't know the rules. Sometimes European airlines can be a bit silly about stuff like this.

Extended Health Insurance is available at the airport in Cuba: http://www.asistur.cu/indexi.php

Have fun.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • Hi Terry,

This is a great thread - really useful for information, especially as Googling requirements led us up a lot of garden paths! We were worried that (as my boyfriend will be going skiing two weeks before we leave to go travelling) we wouldn't be able to apply for a visa in time for our trip in February. From your advice it looks like we should be fine to purchase them when we leave Peru/Bolivia (or that they will be included in our ticket anyway).

Thank you so much!

Emma & Josh
  • Hi Terry,

Definitely some great information in this thread! I'm travelling from Philipsburg, Sint Maarten to Havana in February
    of this year on an Australian passport. Can you advise if I should be able to
    obtain the relevant tourist card for entry to Cuba on departure from Sint Maarten
    airport (SXM)? I'm flying with Copa Airlines
    via Panama. Departing 5 days
    later to Mexico City and on to Los
    Angeles. Just don't want any issues trying to travel back via the US if there's something stamped in my passport saying I've been to Cuba!   

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    Reubecca :)
  • Copa will sell you the Tourist Card in Panama Reubecca, no worries.

Entering the US with a Cuban stamp is zero issues.

Have fun.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • Hi!
    Happy I found this page! I'm travelling around South America for the moment and hopefully heading for Cuba in a couple of weeks. I have understood that I can buy a tourist card at some airports or possibly get it included in the ticket if I book with the right company. But will they give me a tourist card with the ticket even if I just book a one-way (ex with Copa)? Flying back to Sweden after so will book that part with anoter company.
    Thanks in advance!
  • The only airline in North/Central/South America that can't seem to get the Cuban Tourist Card figured out is LAN. With every other airline - including Copa - you will always be given the opportunity to purchase it at the airport before departure to Cuba or it'll be included in your ticket cost, no worries.

Have fun.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • Hi Terry
    In July, I am flying from London to Havana for 3 weeks with Virgin Atlantic. I have both Australian and Slovak passports. Can you let me know what is the cheapest way to get the Cuban tourist visa? It costs $110 through the Cuban embassy here in Oz and it seems very time consuming. Is there an easier option?

Thank you
    Maja
  • The Cuban Embassy in Oz is a scam.

Contact Virgin to see what they say. Maybe they supply the Tourist Card for a fee, I don't know.

Otherwise, do you have time to get it at the Cuban Embassy in London? It's fast and efficient.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • Hi! Does anyone know where exactly in Madrid airport I can get a tourist card for Cuba?
  • Which airline? Package deal or flying independently?

Cheers,
    Terry
  • Hi Terry, apologies for asking this question, as you have essentially answered it repeatedly over the course of this thread. There is just one detail I want to clarify. I am travelling to Havana from Bogota airport tomorrow morning. I travel via Panama with Copa airlines and have a one and a half hour layover in Panama. I am hoping to check my baggage through from Bogota to Havana in light of the short layover period. Will it be possible to obtain a visa if I am NOT checking in again in Panama airport? Thank you, Aoife
  • You'll definately have an opportunity to purchase the Tourist Card either in Bogota before you depart or more likely in Panama where I assume you change aircraft. Copa won't allow you to fly to Cuba without it.

No worries.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • Im travelling to cuba from dubai, with a connection im cdg with air france. Is there any place in the airport i can get this visa? I know AF wont allow me to travel without the visa, and i cant get this in dubai..
  • Contact Anja at http://www.cuba-junky.com/ and see what she suggests. She'll be able to arrange something.

Have fun.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • I, American, am going to Cuba departing from Cancun can I request the Tourist Card to Cuba in Cancun Airport or do I have to wait till I arrive in Cuba? Same question except my travel companion is French, departing on the same flight from Cancun. We arrive in Mexico on a flight originating in the the US. Thank you for you assistance!
  • Yes, you purchase the Tourist Card right at the airport. Everyone else on your flight will be doing the same thing, you can't board the aircraft without it. Nationality is immaterial.

Transquilo and have fun.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • Dear saharmohamedali,

1.) The gigantic "thumbs up" graphic is really irritating and makes the page very difficult to navigate on a smartphone.

2.) Yes, you can buy the Tourist Card at Panama Airport.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • Hi Terry, I'm trying desperately to work out where I can buy my Cuban Tourist Card. I can see you have mentioned many airlines and airports which offer the service. I am a UK Citizen but living in the British Virgin Islands with no embassies nearby for Cuba. I am flying St Maarten to Caracao with Insel Air and onto Havana again with Insel Air. Insel Air are not responding to my emails. Can I purchase the tourist card through Insel Air at the airport in St Maarten or Caracao? Thanks in advance!
  • Hi guys, i really dont know where things are now but I believe someone said this before, from Centro America into Cuba it should be fairly easy to get one at the airport. Not the same from Paris or the rest of Europe. Schedule Airlines do not have to provide you with a Tourist Card but most Charter flights do. So check if you bought a package holiday as it may be included. As in the UK i have tried this guys at www.cubavisa.uk and all done very quickly. At the cuban consulate in London I got asked a £ 19 GBP surcharge for my non present wife's tourist card, it does cost 15 GBP per present applicant but if no present they add £ 19 on the top of your £ 15... wasnt please really but it decided to do it online as I didnt have the cash on me either.. yes payments can be done cash only... Anyhow hope it helps and happy travelling.
  • hello i am need Cuba tourist card in Pakistan . but when i filling the online Cuba tourist card form in the last UK departure date is comes so guide me i not concern in UK so what i do ???
  • Sorry, I don't understand your post, Ali.

Tell me which airline you're flying on to Cuba and which airport you're departing from and I can likely tell you how to get the Cuban Tourist Card.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • Hi,

I am an Australian, I am currently travelling through Mexico. I have booked a flight through Copa airlines out of Guatemala City. I had tried to get a tourist card for aero Mexico at the Mexico City airport but they said they could not do it as I was not flying with them.

I had been told I could pick one up at the airport, do you know whether I can get one at Guatemala City international airport?

Kind regards
  • Yes, Copa will sell you one at check-in. It's about $20 USD.

Have fun.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • Similar to the last question, I am flying from Guatemala City to Havana with Avianca via Costa Rica (but with only a two hour stop over, second leg is with Cubana). Can anyone help with if I will be able to get the tourist card at Guatemala airport? Avianca have been no help at all. Thank you
  • edited April 23
    Avianca has been no help because they are not flying you to Cuba so they have nothing whatsoever to do with the Tourist Card.

Cubana is the airline that is flying you to Cuba and you will purchase the Tourist Card from them when you check-in at San Jose Airport.

Cheers,
    Terry