Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with the forum guidelines:
Check out our country and city guides at

HK girl marrying in UK

edited January 2014 in - Hong Kong
My UK son, currently living in HK and with UK passport, wants to marry his HK fiancee over here in UK.  The UKBA, which we have studied in great depth, seems to suggest that his fiancee needs a visa to register the intent to marry in the UK, followed by another one to actually marry when they intend to the following year.  Within the same set of guidelines the UKBA seems to state that she does not need a visa.  All other requisites for getting married are understood and correct, and they want to return to HK after the wedding.
Does she need a visa at all, given that she wouldn't normally require one at all to visit UK?


  • Hong Kong citizens DO NOT require a visa to enter the UK and will be granted a six months tourist visa at the airport.
    However if a Hong Kong citizen wants to marry in the UK  then they require a visa as a marriage visitor and must complete VAF1F usually on line. The visa costs £80.
    The VAF1F visa application only allows the person to marry in the UK it gives them no right of residence in the UK.

  • I'm having a same issue. However both of us a from HK. But my partner he is holding British passport as well . For me I'm holding Australian as well as BNO. I'm currently working in France . how can I apply to get married with him in UK and apply for the residence in the UK?
  • @traceywong12345

    British Nationals Overseas is a type of British citizenship given to certain Hong Kong residents under the Hong Kong Act 1985. British Nationals Overseas passport holders enjoy visa-free access for up to six months as a visitor to the UK but have no right to live permanently in the UK.

    Some BNO's can apply for full British citizenship, provided they hold no other nationality. as you are an Australian citizen you will not be able to apply for full British nationality.

    If you enter the UK using your BNO passport you and your fiance can marry in the UK as British citizens.

    However to live in the UK after marriage your husband must be working in the UK for a minimum of six months and be earning over £18600 per annum. You would need to apply for a UK spouse visa using either your BNO or Australian passport.
Sign In or Register to comment.