Which is the best Greek Island holiday destination (Greece)?

Comments

• edited September 2009
    All the islands are unique and you will enjoy each one for a different reason.
    Just a few pointers

May- End of June --low season chapest and quiet
    August busiest and most expensive
    September....cant remember has been so long

My two favorite Greek islands so far are Lesbos and Corfu...Going back to Molivos end of June..
    cant wait to do nothing on the beach, coffee at the beach bar ,,and beer at Congas
  • edited 10:35AM
    Hi, I am from Tucson, Arizona. I have always wanted to visit Greece, I am an artist and teacher. I would love to know if there is an ECONOMICAL way to visit some of the islands and Crete within 8 days. I want to see ancient ruins, beautiful beaches, tast great Meiditeranean seafood, walk in quaint medieval towns ans meet local people. I have no idea where to go since my time is limited. Any suggestions..I plan to travel in late September 2009 or in October when prices may be lower...Randy Sue
    randy sue - i am no expert, but your biggest expenses are transport and accommodation. I would use the local ferry system to navigate your way around, and then stay in bed 'n breakfast type homestays on the islands.
  • edited September 2009
    Randy and Sue, obviously your flights will be your biggest expense, but as for accomodation, I have just booked 11nts for 2 in a four star hotel in Rhodes for £304 at the end of September. Which is almost half the price it was 2 weeks before. But there was several cheaper options and you could stay in various locations around the island for a variety. The island is relatively small so it doesnt take long to travel around. Rhodes is amazing, it will be my second time there. If you are looking for medieval towns and ruins with beautiful beaches then Rhodes has it. At the south of the island is Lindos, which is an old town of narrow winding cobbled streets with donkeys and traditional style market shops and the acropolis on the top of the hill. From there, you will find the views of the bluest Aegean sea are spectacular. Also St Pauls bay is so picturesque with its beautiful chapel. To the north is Rhodes town which is cosmopolitan but nestled in the centre is the old walled town with lots of shops and restaurants and plenty of medieval ruins and castles for you. You can even get a day boat trip to Turkey to explore the bazaars. Rhodes has so much to offer and i love that it has kept it Greekness. You can fly direct from Rhodes to Crete with Sky Express or there are ferries. Aegean Airlines also fly for reasonable prices from Athens to most of the islands.
  • edited September 2009
    Hi, I am Simon, half Greek half English. Based on your question and the fact that you are going with your girlfriend I have to suggest Santorini as the number 1 spot. Santorini is my particular favorite island of Greece and perfect for romantic couples. The wines are local and wonderful tasting because of the climate and conditions their. Its about 4 hours away from Piraeus on the mainland depending on the type of boat you take, some are faster. You can also stop off at Paros on the way there or back too. Other nice islands from a scenic point of view are Mykinos and Eos. You must do these islands if you haven't already, they are must see's. Enjoy your trip and enjoy Greece. Immerse yourself in the culture and meet the locals. They are a proud people and would love nothing more than talking to you and answering any questions you might have about their country. Stay away from where all the English go, Corfu and Zakynthos are typical examples. I never understand the mentality of people who want this type of holiday. Its nothing to do with seeing or experiencing what Greece is all about.

Best wishes,
    Simon.
  • edited September 2009
    Hi Im John all Greek and I suggest Astypalea. I have a home their and travel every year with my mother and wife. This year we are going on the 24th of this month cant wait. Awesome restaurants bars and clubs. Lot to due and a very friendly island. I also rent rooms out, studio size very clean and very close to the beach.The water is as blue as the sky. Just a walk to everything supermarket, bars, stores, and many coffee shops. Also Rhodes and Crete are beautiful islands as well. Mathieu if you go look me up, youll know who i am. Im leaving from the states.
  • edited September 2009
    I have been to 7 or 8 of the islands over the past 13 years and also to the mainland.
    For people in their 60's I would recommend Skiathos, Santorini, Stoupa in the Peloponnese and Kefalonia. Stoupa is a wonderful place which is now being spoilt by an increase in construction and tourism. Crete is a huge island with plenty to do and see and it's easy to avoid the drunken English here. Just pick a smaller resort. Skiathos has probably got the best public bus service of any Greek island. Try and visit these places in mid Sept. when the crowds have gone and the weather is still beautiful. I have only visited Zante once and found Kalamaki a very quiet resort with a gorgeous beach. For a taste of real Greece try Parga on the mainland.
    Hey there... my family (hubby and I and our two children 4 & 7) are planning a trip to the Greek Islands the first weeks in September... any family friendly areas with great sandy beaches... I keep "googling" and have an abundance of information - and after reading most of the comments here - I feel that most islands are beautiful. But, since we cannot go to all of the Islands... what would be good for our family? I've been looking into Santorini... any island or hotel suggestions??
    Hi everyone,

My partner and I hope to travel to one of the Greek islands in approx 3 weeks. We have heard/read many stories and would welcome any advice. Ideally, we want to stay somewhere where peace and quiet is the norm! A nice stroll in to a town with reataurants, bars, shops would be nice. We ish to avoid the hustle and bustle of larger towns - especially noisy nightlife and clubs! Many tell us that Rhodes, Santorini and Zante are the places to go. I note Simon's comment above and we want to be somewhere that feels local and Greek (not English) - if we are away then we like to feel away!!! Finally, any specific villages recommended to stay in Rhodes/Santorini/Zante?

Any help and advise much appreciated.
    Robbie, apart from the above, I'd browse around www.TripReport.com for some first-hand experiences of Greek resorts. If anything, you'll get an idea of where to avoid if you are averse to English lads culture!
  • edited September 2009
    Just back from a week in Corfu with my 3 teenagers, i can highly recommend anywhere between Nissaki and kassiopi for peace and quiet and beautiful views. Hire a boat and go round all the small coves and beaches. The rich people go around here so no larger louts, just nice tavernas(no good for party night life) but very relaxing. My kids enjoyed the aquapark for a day out as well but beware very hot, in the 40s and lots of wasps and mosquitoes so take your sprays.
  • edited September 2009
    Hi i am Dave, and I'm half Greek and half a bunch of other stuff! The island I recommend is Kefalonia. It is a beautiful island with plenty of blue flag beaches, like the famous Myrtos Beach near Assos. There are also beautiful and quaint little villages and towns, like Argostoli and Fiskardo and Sami. There are nightclubs and restaurants in the towns. I went to Kefalonia a few years ago, and I loved the island very much, and also, since I come from Kefalonia, I would go there if I were you. You will not regret it.
  • edited September 2009
    Hi, I have been to Crete, Halkadiki, Athens, Poros - and have been to Thassos twice, guess which one I like the best! The reason I love Thassos is because it is still hasn't been spoilt by too many clubs and English lager louts! But there is some nightlife if you want it. The Island is really green with lovely sandy beaches. The people are fantastic, as is the food, and it hasn't become too touristy which is one of the reasons I love it so much - maintains its greekness - great. I do want to try another greek island, well more than one as I love Greece. Am thinking about Kefalonia, Naxos, Paros or Ios - ooh decisions decisions.
    Hi, I'm Sed,
    My wife and I are planning a trip to Kos in Sept 2009 amd we're really struggling on our budget!!!
    We want to take our daughter (Zara) on a holiday as her first birthday is 17th Sept and mine is 13th Sept, so a family holiday is ideal. We do, however have a strick budget of 600 pounds and we must fly from Birmingham, as it will be really difficult from London/Manchester with a 1 year old!!!
    Does anyone know of cheap accomodation there, or even cheap flights????
    Any help with any of these would be greatly appreciated, please help!!! :)
    Sed - a package deal is nearly always cheaper when traveling to these resorts. Look around your high-street and in the papers for last minute deals to Kos for the family.
    Looking for advice on where to go in June of 2010.. Son is graduating from College - majoring in art would like to go to Greece - some of the Islands - I thought 3-4 days in Rome, 3-4 days in Athens and then pick about 3 of the Islands 3-4 days each. We are coming from the US. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We don't need to stay at fancy hotels - want to experience the culture on a budget but at the same time be safe. Thanks!
  • edited September 2009
    hi, I've been to many islands and loved them all. Why not try Parga on the mainland, it really has an island feel. It is also close to corfu, paxos, kefallona, meganissi etc so there is plenty of island hopping to do. You also have mainland sights to see, such as meteora, well worth seeing.
  • edited September 2009
    Hey Guys,

Just got back from a 7 day trip to Kos, (flew from Paris to Athens to Kos with Aegean).

Had a great time! Ended up staying at one of the mega-style resorts just outside of Kos town - not usually my cup of tea, but at this time of the year (mid september) it wasn't too full. The plan was to stay a night and scope out other accommodation on the island, but we ended up staying the entire time at the mega resort - it was spotlessly clean, had a great breakfast included, and we were upgraded to a suite.

I think this time of the year is a good time to go - it wasn't too busy, weather was great, scooter hire was cheap! Kos has some interesting archeology sites, some nice beaches and some great tavernas (the best we found were on the water just south of Kos town). We had a great time scootering around the island visiting some of the more remote villages. A very relaxing holiday!!

Wolf
    Two questions for travel in Greek Islands in December:

- Can anyone recommend a travel agent for this season in the Greek islands?
    - Any comments on visits to Naxos?
    GREECE!!! oh man!!! just returned from an AWESOME island hopping trip from Greece! Did two weeks on six islands and WAS THAT FABULOUS.. only complaint however... TIME WAS TOO SHORT!!! we did the more famous islands and loved all of them.. Santorini my personal fav though!! my girlfriend was all in awe with all of them.. accmdation was SUPBERB!!! and we busy planning our next trip in August AGAIN nxt year!!! and actually to go look for a plce to buy on one of the islands!!

so.. whoever wants to go... wherever you wana go!!! do it in ALL GREEKSTYLE!!! no mattr where you are in greece.. as long as the vibe is right, your sandy-feet up high and you can see crystal clear blue waters... ENJOY!!! see ya'll in HELLAS!!!!

happytraveller from southafrica!!
    happytraveller - your Greece trip sounds amazing. Which islands did you visit - any favourites? How did you get around?
    I am going to Greece next April, I would like to see orthdox easter celebrations, is there a place where tradition is not spoilt by tourism ? Any recommendation island or mainland, not yet booked.
    Thanks
    Hi
    If you want a taste of greece go to utube :anita 1938: and see my videos on our travels around greece
    We have visited about 48 islands and also the mainland every island has its own individual charm, but the place that the Greeks like to keep secret is the Pelion Peninsular on the mainland were it is pure magic.
    Allan
    We had almost 5 weeks in Greece just over two years ago and I'm yearning to go again. Two of those weeks were spent on Santorini and Folegandros. We hired quad bikes to get around Santorini. The island lived up to what I had anticipated and I loved every minute. The sunsets were unforgettable. Folegandros is a virtually untouched island with three distinct areas - the Port of Karavostasis, Hora and Ano Meria. It is a place where you can meet the locals, have home cooked meals, see greek culture first hand and really relax. Next time Crete.
  • edited July 2011

One of the most beautiful islands in Greece is Lefkada, which lay in the Ionian sea. The beaches are absolutely amazing, spectacular. There is a perfect combination between the green mountains and the turquoise waters of the sea.

For the guest who wants to see some greek orthodox easter celebrations i would say that everywhere in Greece is overcrowded during these celebrations. The most famous place is Corfu island.

hello , me and my partner and our two 12 year old twin daughters are planning a week holiday to Greece in the summer ( july-august ), we have been looking on the internet for apartments and villas and fancy one of the greek islands , trouble is there are so many to choose from. a good sandy beach suitable for swimming is a must for the girls , and we don't want anything to busy with a lot of nightclubs and your typical english larger louts! basicly we're looking for a quiet, relaxing family holiday, that doesn't push our budget. Anybody have any suggestions ?

best wishes
    Annie
    Hiya everyone, hope you can help. I am longing to visit a greek island and as there are so many to choose from I could do with some advice. I am newly single, so I dont really want to visit romantic soppy places, however I am not a mad partygirl either, I just want some well deserved rest and relaxation.....any suggestions? Thank you x
    I am going to Athens in June, and I am interested in taking a ferry from Athens to Ios, staying there for a couple nights, then taking a ferry to Mykonos. I can't find any information on the ferry schedules from Athens to the Greek Islands, and ferries between the islands. Could someone please help me out, possibly offering a schedule of the ferries in the summer, or any other advice? Thank you!
    Yesir3 - I too have the same concerns. I have been unsuccessful finding information regarding the ferry schedules from Athens to the islands. I will be arriving in Athens mid-afternoon , but this worries me because I feel I will not be able to make the ferries heading out to the islands. I am interested in Mykonos, and then from there we'll see the next destination. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    I have visited Corfu, Andros, Skiathos, Skopelos, Alonissos, Limnos, Chios and Karpathos. I prefer quiet, not overcrowded places. With nice beaches,nice villages, little traffic, interesting landscape and the possibility for exploration of the island.
    With that in mind I can recommend most of these islands. But Skiathos, Skopelos and Corfu is a little to crowded for me.My number one would be Karpathos. Fantastic scenery, wild mountains, all kinds of beautiful beaches, lovely greek mountain villages, and a relaxing and romantic family atmosphere all over the island. And a capital of 25oo inhabitants. A perfect size for quiet evenings at the local tavernas. Still a towncenter, where you can enjoy local life and mingle between locals and tourists. If you need parties and heavy cultural sightseeing you should pick another island. An average tourist on Karpathos is there for the fifth time I would guess. Once Karpathos, always Karpathos.
    Chios is authentic and bigger, with lots of culture to see. The tourism is very moderat. You can explore Chios for weeks. The beaches vary, but I would not visit Chios if I just wanted a beach-holiday.
    Limnos has mostly greek tourists. Quiet and with nice beaches. But the island is rather flat, and in my opinion a little boring to explore.
    Still I can recommend these three island for people with the same approach as mine.

Have a nice trip!